Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to approach the next lsat?  (Read 1529 times)

smiley111

• View Profile
    • Email
How to approach the next lsat?
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:02:36 PM »
Hello LSD org members--I have a very unfortunate situation before me.

I have in the past cancelled the lsat scores 2x (the 1st time was just to experience the testing environment with out studying for it), have taken this past Dec's test, scored poorly on that test and now have 1 more chance to take the test.

I just took a test and scored a 157. However, I have taken all of the tests except for Sept 09.

I was wondering with 1 more chance left should I just bust my butt to take June's or take it this coming Oct? Also if I do take it in october I dont know the best way to study incrementally for Oct's test?

Any suggestions--also would I still have a chance at getting accepted to schools with this history? Thank you and I will definitely appreciate all harsh and critical honest answers

sequoia90

Re: How to approach the next lsat?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:51 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how you prepared for the last few tests, but you may want to consider taking a full course in preparation for the October test.

If you're not feeling ready for the June test, then take some time and invest some $$$ into making sure you get where you want to be.

Finally, if you're not satisfied with your LSAT and will not be satisfied going to a school that will take that score, you may want to reconsider if going to law school is a worthwhile investment.

Best of luck!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
Given no other information I'd plan on taking October.  I concur with the advice to take a full prep course (not a crash course).  Finally, don't worry about taking all the practice tests.  Just take them again.  The fact you've seen the questions before doesn't matter as much as you would think, and revisiting them lets you notice things you didn't see before (like watching a movie for the second or third time).

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »
october test be hardest ever.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
You might as well just take it if you feel you have adequately prepared.  Maybe there are some crazy exceptions where someone's LSAT score changes dramatically, but at the end of the day the LSAT is basically an IQ test and you are going to get what you get.

Obviously, preparation is key, but it sounds like you have been studying for awhile and if 157 is what you got after putting significant time in that is probably roughly how you will do. A 157 will definetly get you into law school and if you want to be a lawyer then law school is a good place to be.

If you are set on going to an elite school and won't be satisfied then there might be other things to consider.

I compare Law School to Basketball in a lot of ways and 157 is a solid score like a 6'6 guy trying to make the NBA he might get a basketball scholarship maybe even be able to play in some minor league, but probably won't make the NBA. However, the guy would be making a living as a basketball player and if that is what the person loves they will be happy.

Just like if you get a 157 you can get into law school you will become a lawyer and get a job as an attorney. Probably won't be working big law or making 200k a year, but if you want to be a lawyer again you will be happy.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »
all lsats have the same strategy, just study and take it. Remember K.I.S.S
Keep It Simple Stupid   :-*

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:08:04 AM »
spoken like simple person.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
at the end of the day the LSAT is basically an IQ test and you are going to get what you get.

Not true.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:49:53 PM »
agreed.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
You don't think so? Honestly, I think I could have taken every study course etc and never gotten a 170. I never took a course or anything, but I took a practice without ever studying at all and got a 145 and I studied a lot and improved it 10 points. Granted no course or anything, but I really don't think I could ever get a 170 or even 160 for that matter. 

Maybe it is not an IQ test, but it just means that is your aptitude for that particular multiple choice test and I think everybody has a ceiling. Just my opinion though.