Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T4 with intern  (Read 4537 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: T4 with intern
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
I got an internship to from a t-4, but I don't think top 10 students are any worse at networking than tier 4 students, in fact they are probably better than most tier 4 students and that is how they got into Harvard, Yale in the first place.  I know you probably would have gone to Harvard or Stanford if you had the numbers and so would I. This board makes t-4's out to be absurdly worse than they are and any law school  school from tier 1 to tier 4 or even CBA schools teach basically the same thing, but going to Ivy League school does open more doors than a tier 4.

As one poster said getting an internship is not the same as getting hired as an associate, but it is essentially like a tryout and if you do a good job from timbuktu state they won't care. If you went to Harvard and are a f up then they won't keep you around, that is what happened with the legal interns in the the few firms I worked in before law school, but generally speaking an Ivy League student is more academically inclined than you or me and that is why they got into Harvard etc in the first place.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »
...I don't think top 10 students are any worse at networking than tier 4 students, in fact they are probably better than most tier 4 students and that is how they got into Harvard, Yale in the first place...

No.  They got in by getting good grades and doing well on the LSAT.  Generally.

As one poster said getting an internship is not the same as getting hired as an associate, but it is essentially like a tryout...

Sometimes.  Many times, no.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 03:53:16 AM »
Yea GPA & LSAT is the main reason you get in anywhere, but I thought some of the really elite schools required an interview like Northwestern, but maybe I am wrong. If those schools required an interview  you would  need to do some networking, have a personality, blah blah things that t-4 students like to tell themselves they are better at, but generally aren't. I hear that all the time at my school oh sure my grades aren't that good, but I will nail an interview if I get one. It's like ok and you don't think there are people with good grades that can't nail an interview. Random tangent.

The internship thing I am sure there are places that care about the degree and nothing, else but in my limited experience working as a paralegal it seemed like they cared a lot more about work product than pedigree.  This one girl in the top 10% of her class at University of Michigan was the only person out of 10 interns on my team to not get offered a job. She had far and away, the best academic credentials, but the work she actually turned into her mentors had more than typos than I do when writing on this site and she would be the last one there and the first to leave. A true Jamarucs Russell of the legal profession all the raw talent in the world, but 0 work ethic or plain common sense and interns from CUNY, NYLS, and Touro were hired instead of her.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »
Like I've been saying, my friend said the LSAT is similar to a practice test. She also mentioned that if I were to do good on an old LSAT before they made it easier, I would do good on the actual LSAT.

T4 schools are bottom-of-the-barrel. I am glad most students are going to T4's because they did not cut it for a T3 or T1. This means, a person with good academic standing from either a T1 or T3 would be getting a job over a T4.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
But, a friend told me that I'd do good......"but my mom thinks I'm cool"

Like I've been saying, my friend said the LSAT is similar to a practice test. She also mentioned that if I were to do good on an old LSAT before they made it easier, I would do good on the actual LSAT.

T4 schools are bottom-of-the-barrel. I am glad most students are going to T4's because they did not cut it for a T3 or T1. This means, a person with good academic standing from either a T1 or T3 would be getting a job over a T4.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
You obviously have mother issues. Your mom must think you were a failure, so you decided to join the military just to prove her wrong, didn't work, so you decided to go to Cooley and become a lawyer, didn't work and wouldn't work, so now you are bitter. Your mother was right to think you would always be a failure. She should have produced more children and then she would have better chances of producing a winner instead of a failure.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
T4's are not going to ruin your life. They are bottom of the barrel, you have to be quite smart to get into any ABA school. 

As a comparision I am 6'8 or 6'9 on good day and I tower over most people, but in the world of competitive basketball 6'9 is nothing speical it is run of the mill. Basically the equivalent of getting about a 155 on your LSAT it's not terrible, but it's not being 7'6. I am taller than about 98% of the world population, just like someone graduating undergrad with a 3.0 and being able to get a 150 or higher on the LSAT makes you more academically accomplished than 98% of the world. So even getting into Cooley is hard and obsturferpeace will probably wipe the floor in a court room with you one day. THen you will appeal the decision saying your mom and dad thought you should have won and then you will be disbarred for filing a frivilous claim and your Mom and Dad won't be able to help you get your Bar membership get back, good luck in real life man, you will need it.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
Lol, obst cannot even beat me in logical reasoning, so I doubt he will ever be the one to contend with me in court. Even if he does, he would not be able to wipe the floor with me. We had a similar battle in a thread in the LSAT practice section. He brought in various other claims while I knocked them each down to the point he could not bring in anymore because they were all b.s. and he knew it.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »
That statement would get you a C or D in law school. Pure conclusions the professor will say you are being conclusory I wiped the floor with him "how did you do that?  You knocked down all of his points again "how"?  Again you don't know what you are talking about, because you don't go to law school, because in law school you will meet other smart people and be in competitoin with them and then you will take a real final and see how you do, but until that happens you don't know what will happen to you.

I would obviously ace every single class at Carleton or whatever undergrad you go to. I am accomplished so I would get A's in physics, because in 8th Grade I got an A in science and therefore I should ace Physics at Carelton. So there! That is literally the logic you are using, I know jack about how Carleton works and you know jack about how law school works. What you hear from you uncle who probably went to law school 30 years ago doesn't matter.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 09:38:23 PM »
If you got a 155 on a logical reasoning test, then no, you would not ace every single class in physics at Carleton unless you understood the concepts. I understand the philosophical concepts of law, therefore would ace classes at the top schools of law. You do not have a great scientific background, and from what I am assuming, you aren't good at math, so you will probably do well in the very basics of biology, whereas the advanced courses in science, you would perform less that average.