Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retaking a prep course: is it worth it?  (Read 879 times)

icedtea

• View Profile
Retaking a prep course: is it worth it?
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »
Last summer I took Testmasters in preparation for the September 09 LSATs. My first diagnostic (on the first day of class, before any review) was a 168. Naturally, I was pretty excited and set my goal as breaking 170 on the actual test. During the course of studying, I broke 170 a few times but remained frustratingly between 165-169 for most of my tests.

At the time, my main issues were LR questions, so naturally I focused most of my time on that. LG came pretty naturally, and RC was in the middle.

I took the September 09 test and I got...wait for it...a 168. I had NO IMPROVEMENT (luckily I didn't get a lower score either, but still). I was pretty frustrated, because I was hoping for splitter status to get me into some of the higher ranked schools that my GPA makes it harder for me to get into.

Turns out I didn't miss any LG questions, missed 1 or 2 LR questions and missed something like EIGHT RC questions. Obviously a reflection of how I didn't spend enough time focusing on them :\

SO here's my question:

1) In your opinion, is it worth it to take another prep course, like Blueprint or Powerscore? Or should I just buy a Powerscore RC Bible and focus on that?

2) What are some of your RC tips?

3) I am shooting to re-take this September and hit over 170. What are some strategies that you would recommend to prepare better for the test this time? Do you have any studying tips or regimen that made your score increase drastically?

cooleylawstudent

Re: Retaking a prep course: is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:39:18 PM »
It depends on if your school of choice takes the highest score or averages them out. If the latter, just keep it since  you don't normally improve more than 2 points anyways.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »
Prep tests are not worth it in my opinion if you really study for it then that is the best you can do.  A 5'4 white guy can train his whole life to dunk it is probably not going to happen. 

168 is a really good score at least in my opinion, but the courses are kind of a rip-off they prepare you, but you get what you get at the end of the day.

I got a 155 I studied I could probably take 4 more courses and not get much better than that give or take a point or two.  Just take what you got and go to law school and get it done. 

Once you pick your school and start your LSAT means jack sh*t after the first day of class. Nobody cares anymore and if you do really well in law school things will work out.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
I'm in my second term and still hear jackass's try to brag(and lie) about their LSAT scores.
In theory wouldn't the lsat still make a difference if you plan to transfer?

Prep tests are not worth it in my opinion if you really study for it then that is the best you can do.  A 5'4 white guy can train his whole life to dunk it is probably not going to happen. 

168 is a really good score at least in my opinion, but the courses are kind of a rip-off they prepare you, but you get what you get at the end of the day.

I got a 155 I studied I could probably take 4 more courses and not get much better than that give or take a point or two.  Just take what you got and go to law school and get it done. 

Once you pick your school and start your LSAT means jack sh*t after the first day of class. Nobody cares anymore and if you do really well in law school things will work out.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 04:58:55 PM »
Last summer I took Testmasters in preparation for the September 09 LSATs. My first diagnostic (on the first day of class, before any review) was a 168. Naturally, I was pretty excited and set my goal as breaking 170 on the actual test. During the course of studying, I broke 170 a few times but remained frustratingly between 165-169 for most of my tests.

At the time, my main issues were LR questions, so naturally I focused most of my time on that. LG came pretty naturally, and RC was in the middle.

I took the September 09 test and I got...wait for it...a 168. I had NO IMPROVEMENT (luckily I didn't get a lower score either, but still). I was pretty frustrated, because I was hoping for splitter status to get me into some of the higher ranked schools that my GPA makes it harder for me to get into.

Turns out I didn't miss any LG questions, missed 1 or 2 LR questions and missed something like EIGHT RC questions. Obviously a reflection of how I didn't spend enough time focusing on them :\

SO here's my question:

1) In your opinion, is it worth it to take another prep course, like Blueprint or Powerscore? Or should I just buy a Powerscore RC Bible and focus on that?

2) What are some of your RC tips?

3) I am shooting to re-take this September and hit over 170. What are some strategies that you would recommend to prepare better for the test this time? Do you have any studying tips or regimen that made your score increase drastically?

I would say that a prep course is not worth it for you.  The impression that I have is that prep courses are most helpful for those who want to raise their scores from a much lower baseline.  If you're coming in at 168, the course probably won't do much more for you. 

I would suggest, if you have not done so already, that you get your hands on any old LSATs that you can find, go through every single problem, then look closely at the ones you got wrong to determine why you got them wrong and why the correct answers are what they are. 

My starting point and my ending point roughly match up with where you started and where you want to end up, so hopefully that means this might work for you as well (though different things work for different people so no guarantees).

Good luck.  :)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 03:33:53 AM »
That LSAT had a -11/170 curve, so you either missed an even bigger portion of RC questions or some questions in other sections. If you missed an even bigger portion of RC questions (meaning roughly 10 RC questions in total, or roughly 40% of the questions in the section), I'd recommend a tutor. It would seem like you're missing a strategy and way of thinking about the RC passages that allow you to attack them successfully.

Good luck.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French