Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG & Ranger School, etc  (Read 4952 times)

zecklez

• View Profile
    • Email
JAG & Ranger School, etc
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
Hello,

I am currently 34 years old. I have a Bachors in Businees Admin and have been in business for over 10 years now...quite successfully, reaching the position of CFO for my last company.

Bored of business (specifically accounting) I am looking to switch things up, and am looking into law school. I have a # of active applications with different schools. The one I am really looking at begins this Fall. If I enter and complete it successffully in 3 years...I will be 37 by the time I finish. At this, point I am setting my sights upon JAG (Army).

I have been reading a lot of posts on here in regards to JAG and I am so thankful for the information. My question is this...if I get into JAG (ARMY) at 37...will I be to old to go to Ranger and/or Airborn school?

Please provide information as you see fit...as I know there are many intelligent people on these boards.

Thank you so much,

Zecklez

Look Sharp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JAG & Ranger School, etc
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
Zecklez,

No, you will not be "too old."  i was 31 when I went through Airborne School and 34 when I went through the Special Forces "Q" Course. 

I know a 46 year old guy who went through Ranger School, and I think the oldest guy ever to go through Ranger School was 55 years old. 

Having said all that, it will definitely take its toll on you. 

I am now a JAG and I really LOVE IT!  But if you get into the JAG and you want to do all that High Speed stuff, you have to plan things out and more or less out smart all the pouges who will come up with reasons why you cannot do stuff. 

What I would recommend is that you make sure you get into Airborne school, and get into an actual Airborne unit (not one that has "Airborne" on its Patch). 

The other issue is do you want to just go to Ranger School, or do you want to be in the Ranger Battalion--there is a WORLD of difference between the two (Just remember: the Tab is a school, the Scroll is a way of life). 

If you just want to go to Ranger School, then I would recommend focusing on just getting into any Light Infantry unit--the 10th the 25th, the 101 or the 82nd.

If you want the scroll, you have to focus on Benning and the 75 Ranger Regiment (I've checked, I think there are only 2 slots--a MAJ and a CPT). 

One last option is getting into the Special Operations Command.  This would be a more pouge position, but it would still bring you into the fold and you can always more around once inside.

Hope that was helpful to you.

Tim

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
JAG,chalplains,doctors, all have a lot looser age restrictions than normal enlisted/officer especially if prior service.

a224932

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »
If I apply to JAG and don't get in through direct commission, would it be stupid to apply directly to the Army and go through OCS? Would I still be able to select JAG corps or would I have to wait a year or so?

I am interested in JAG, but have no prior military experience. Currently I am 37 years old. I will be graduating from law school this December from a mid-40's ranked law school and am graduating in the middle of my class.

My guess it that it is unlikely I would be accepted into JAG as I am older and have never served thus I am a less competitive candidate compared to someone who has already served in the army and is younger. I do have a lot of work experience and have been fortunate enough to have a lot of work experience in law school as well as interning with a judge. I am interested in criminal law and feel that my resume reflects that with my current and previous jobs.

I am interested in any feedback I can get on the JAG corp and if applying for OCS is a waste of time with the end goal of getting into JAG. I feel an obligation to serve my country (the job market is crappy, but I have always wanted to serve) but feel that I might be too old now.

Thanks!
3L,T1 LS

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »
Dude:
As a JAG you will be a pogue. Just trust me on this one. There is no earthly reason why, as a lawyer, you should go to jump or to Ranger school. Believe me, this drives grunts crazy; "device" chasing admin monkeys are greeted with almost universal scorn by guys who actually have and carry out a combat arm MOS. Being a JAG is a noble pursuit. Stick with that. If you don't want to be an attorney, then go through the OCS cha-cha and do it the old fashioned way. At your age, you will need a waiver for that. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I am trying to give you an unvarnished rendition of what will happen should you try to chart the course you propose. 

a224932

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
Dude:
As a JAG you will be a pogue. Just trust me on this one. There is no earthly reason why, as a lawyer, you should go to jump or to Ranger school. Believe me, this drives grunts crazy; "device" chasing admin monkeys are greeted with almost universal scorn by guys who actually have and carry out a combat arm MOS. Being a JAG is a noble pursuit. Stick with that. If you don't want to be an attorney, then go through the OCS cha-cha and do it the old fashioned way. At your age, you will need a waiver for that. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I am trying to give you an unvarnished rendition of what will happen should you try to chart the course you propose. 

I appreciate you view. Unlike the OP, I am not planning on Ranger school or anything like that. I love the law and want to serve, and it seems like the JAG would be good. I totally understand where you are coming from in regards to how others will view me. I had to look up the word pogue, but its meaning is pretty clear.

I am hoping I get a chance to get into the jag but if not, its all good. Thanks for you succinct reply, it is appreciated.
3L,T1 LS

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:31:09 PM »
Don't listen to pussies, just do what you can. If you can go Airborne, then do it. Get every patch and award you can, it will help you get promoted faster and even if nothing else being a badass is it's own award. Let the gimps in admin talk *&^%, fukk'em...... :'(

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:15:52 PM »
Don't listen to pussies, just do what you can. If you can go Airborne, then do it. Get every patch and award you can, it will help you get promoted faster and even if nothing else being a badass is it's own award. Let the gimps in admin talk *&^%, fukk'em...... :'(

My whole point is that when you are a JAG, you are an admin guy. End of story. That doesn't diminish the service you render, you just need to accept what you are. Going to Airborne school does not make you a badass, especially if you are a JAG, it makes you a device chasing clown. But don't believe me, just follow this rationale: if I am the secretary of the Army facing an increasingly parsimonious Congress, where do I start making cuts? Is it not sending bona fide infantry-types to jump school? No. What about strap-hanging admin pogues who don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of ever dropping into a combat zone ever? Yep. You get the point. It's the infantry bubbas and the combat arms guys who will hate your poser guts. Just sayin'

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:14 PM »
Spoken like a "leg".  :P

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:56:12 PM »
Spoken like a "leg".  :P

and you know the Army is full of them!