Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hopeful HYS Transfer  (Read 2525 times)

dxed

• View Profile
Hopeful HYS Transfer
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
Iím currently a 1L at the lower end of a T100 school. I could have enrolled at a T30, but I chose not to because it was cheaper to go to a lower ranked school for 1 year. Retrospectively, I donít know if this was the best decision because I always intended to transfer out, but Iím hoping the large jump isnít going to come back to bite me now. I went to Yale as an undergraduate and Iím hoping to transfer back to there, but any of HYS will be great of course. I donít have official numbers, but Iím guessing my 1st semester grades put me near the top of my class, probably in the top 1-3%. I have a few decent softs. My general question would be, what are the chances of pulling this off?

Getting to the nitty-gritty, I need to approach my professors for letters of rec. One of them happens to be an alumnus from Yale Law, so we share the same alma mater. How should I approach and explain to them my goals of transferring? Should I mention which school I really want to transfer to (HYS) or would they construe that as being pretentious, even though I do have genuine reasons in addition to the obvious better job-finding-potential for picking these schools? Is it better for them to submit letters through LSAC or have them individually tailor it to the schools and submit it directly?

Also, what would be the best way to frame my personal statement for HYS, especially Yale since I did my undergraduate there? Does previously attending the school give me an advantage in the transfer decisions?

Lastly, I know transfer admissions are on a rolling basis, but does it affect my chances whether I submit mine earlier or later in the process? I feel that if I turn it in later, more spots will have been filled which would reduce my chances.

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hopeful HYS Transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:05:05 AM »
If you actually are in the top 3%, I'd think your chances at Harvard are pretty good. Yale and Stanford is always a bit of a crap shoot since their classes are very small and they take very few transfers. I'm guessing trying to transfer into Yale or Stanford for anything lower than T14 is virtually impossible. 
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
Iím currently a 1L at the lower end of a T100 school. I could have enrolled at a T30, but I chose not to because it was cheaper to go to a lower ranked school for 1 year. Retrospectively, I donít know if this was the best decision because I always intended to transfer out, but Iím hoping the large jump isnít going to come back to bite me now. I went to Yale as an undergraduate and Iím hoping to transfer back to there, but any of HYS will be great of course. I donít have official numbers, but Iím guessing my 1st semester grades put me near the top of my class, probably in the top 1-3%. I have a few decent softs. My general question would be, what are the chances of pulling this off?

Getting to the nitty-gritty, I need to approach my professors for letters of rec. One of them happens to be an alumnus from Yale Law, so we share the same alma mater. How should I approach and explain to them my goals of transferring? Should I mention which school I really want to transfer to (HYS) or would they construe that as being pretentious, even though I do have genuine reasons in addition to the obvious better job-finding-potential for picking these schools? Is it better for them to submit letters through LSAC or have them individually tailor it to the schools and submit it directly?

Also, what would be the best way to frame my personal statement for HYS, especially Yale since I did my undergraduate there? Does previously attending the school give me an advantage in the transfer decisions?

Lastly, I know transfer admissions are on a rolling basis, but does it affect my chances whether I submit mine earlier or later in the process? I feel that if I turn it in later, more spots will have been filled which would reduce my chances.

I really hate to shatter your bubble, but your odds are not very good at all. Not because your grades aren't good but because HYS typically don't take students from such low ranked schools. I've heard of t30 -- > HYS transfers, but not really much lower then that barring some serious credentials (besides grades). If you were top 1% at a t30 your odds would have been much better. Why didn't you EA to UChicago? You would have had a good shot at that. I'd say definitely apply to CCN but I think it's less of a lock then had you EA'd at UChi.

Also, I mentioned this on the other "transfer stats to HLS" thread, but the fact that you could have attended a t30 is not going to help you. Contrary to popular belief, I'm fairly sure that Harvard does not consider UGPA/LSAT for transfer admissions. If you look at their website again you'll notice is says that the typical transfer student is one that might have been accepted as a 1L, but that's not the same thing as saying that they consider LSAT/UGPA in their decision.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:22:09 PM »
Hold up, you're saying that T1 is LOWER than a T3, in that case cooley is on top of the world!!!!!!!!!Suck on my T4 balls your stupid T1harvard asswipes......

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »
Contrary to popular belief, I'm fairly sure that Harvard does not consider UGPA/LSAT for transfer admissions.

Considering that Harvard is one of the few schools that say straight out that they do consider it, that seems like a peculiar position to take. Moreover, they also say they prefer transfer applications who were waitlisted during ordinary admission.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.