Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A Parents View  (Read 4998 times)

Unbiased

• View Profile
A Parents View
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »
When my daughter decided that she wanted to go to law school I can remember scouring the internet for reviews and rankings to help her choose the "best" school.

Now that all of that is in the past I wish to pass on to the parents my experience and some of the wisdom gained.

Frankly, the choice of RWU was based on two major factors; the experience of the faculty and the scholarship offered.  Many faculty members had prior experience in private practice, some in litigation. As an engineer, I saw practical experience as an important factor.  The scholarhsip speaks for itself, $12k/year.

The law school experience was as tough as they say, especially the second year.  I think many of the posts here are from students feeling that pressure.  I understand that. In the end, however, the ability to work under pressure fostered confidence and she graduated with a self-confidence I had never seen before. As a graduate of a military college I was well aware of the cause and effect.

That brings us to the employment issue.  Roger Williams is still an unknown school.  I am a forensic consultant and work with many law firms throughout the country and would rountinely "poll" my clients about RWU. Even my client/hiring partner in Hartford, CT. "never heard" of RWU.  However, beyond that, finding employment was NEVER a problem for my daughter.  She started out doing transactional/bankruptcy work, then moved on to litigation and now seems to have found her place in business/estate planning.  Employers seem to immediately identify the practical aspect of her training; which I attribute to the experience of the law school faculty. As an example, I can recall that she graduated on a Saturday, took a "few days off to relax", interviewed on the following Sunday, was hired on the spot, given a laptop allowance and started the following Monday. 

If my son or daughter wanted to work working for a "white shoe" firm, I would encourage them to attend a school that is better known.

I believe however, if we had to make the choice again, we would still choose RWU.

cooleylawstudent

Re: A Parents View
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Thanks for the input, but I think you tried a bit too hard to oversell the school.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
I believe however, if we had to make the choice again, we would still choose RWU.

there's no 'we' in law school
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »
Rather ironic username
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:18:42 PM »
?

there's no 'we' in law school

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »
Thanks for the input, but I think you tried a bit too hard to oversell the school.

I hope you giggled as you wrote that?
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »
?

I hope you giggled as you wrote that?

unbiased2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
NICE TRY, DEAN!  "unbiased"  "parent"  LOL

I heard you monitor these boards poising as students etc.

Don't be a stupid

Don't be a fool.

RWU is a lousy school.

You'll run up loans and lots of debt

and be left with an empty wallet

along with much regret.

I was once a stupid fool

Who went and attended this horrible school

But now I know the facts and have the proof

I come only to speak the truth.

Now I know the real true crime

Was that I wasted my money and my time.

Those are things you can never get back

RWU sucks a big d*ck and thats a fact!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
again about RWU, twice now. You must've failed hardcore.....finish writing the suicide note yet? :'(

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:42 PM »
Wow at OP.

And I don't think you get to mock people for failing until you've succeeded. 
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)