Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring Tier 2 to T14  (Read 2776 times)

cheff4u

• View Profile
Transferring Tier 2 to T14
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
What is the likelihood of getting into a T14 like UVa, NYU, Georgetown, UChicago and Northwestern if you are transferring from a Tier 2 school after 1L? Specifically, transferring from Chicago-Kent upward? I am in the top 25% of my class. GPA: 3.3. Undergrad GPA: 3.69 LSAT: 158

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring Tier 2 to T14
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
The "transferapps" group on Yahoo will provide some guidance.  They have self-reported data of transfers for the past several years.

But off the top of my head, I don't think you have a great shot at transferring to those schools.  (That opinion shouldn't persuade you against applying, though.) If you want to transfer, I'd be sure to send applications to strong regional tier 1 schools.  If you look at the ABA official data (http://officialguide.lsac.org/) you can find the number of transfer students each school accepted.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:19:41 PM »
3.3 / 25% percent is very unlikely.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

win200

• "What do you mean, you people?"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
Yeah, I'll jump on this. I'm at an 80-something school with a 3.74, which is roughly top 3%. I had a 2.92 undergrad and a 173 LSAT, if those even matter. Do I have a plausible shot at T14?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »
The two people that are transferring did your schools offer you scholarships to stay, I was just curious to know. Particularly if you were in the top 3%.

win200

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
The two people that are transferring did your schools offer you scholarships to stay, I was just curious to know. Particularly if you were in the top 3%.

I couldn't tell you, as I haven't applied to transfer yet.

sonofapickle

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:47:18 AM »
Yeah, I'll jump on this. I'm at an 80-something school with a 3.74, which is roughly top 3%. I had a 2.92 undergrad and a 173 LSAT, if those even matter. Do I have a plausible shot at T14?

You were obviously being an idiot. If you had a 173 LSAT you should have stayed in school another year and took the fall term with all A's, the winter terms with all A's, and the spring term with all A's. That would have risen your GPA up to a 3.5 and you would have gotten into a T14. They would have still accepted your score and your GPA average would have shot up due you continually getting 4.0's. Excuse my 3.5, your GPA would have gone up possibly to 3.6 or 3.75. You made a wrong decision.

win200

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »

You were obviously being an idiot. If you had a 173 LSAT you should have stayed in school another year and took the fall term with all A's, the winter terms with all A's, and the spring term with all A's. That would have risen your GPA up to a 3.5 and you would have gotten into a T14. They would have still accepted your score and your GPA average would have shot up due you continually getting 4.0's. Excuse my 3.5, your GPA would have gone up possibly to 3.6 or 3.75. You made a wrong decision.

And you're obviously being a prick. And pardon me for, at age 26 and four years out of undergrad, not wanting to take the time and expense of going back for another year of college.

It really is beside the point now, isn't it, given that I'm wrapping up my first year in law school? I certainly hope that your comment allowed you to feel superior, as it was completely useless aside from that.

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

You have a good shot at the T14. If I were you I would blanket those schools. I know Columbia and Georgetown take in a lot of transfers.  Check the yahoo transfer group database. You will find a lot of useful information there. Good luck.