Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-Time JD Program?  (Read 1738 times)

tony63a

• View Profile
Part-Time JD Program?
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:46:01 AM »
I'm curious about how part-time evening JD programs work.  Is there anyone who has either successfully completed one or is currently enrolled in one?  If someone works a typical full-time job during the day, when does he/she find the time to adequately study?  Is it possible to participate in law review?  How does one handle internships if already employed?  Also, how are job prospects for part-timers after they graduate?  Any information is helpful.  Thanks.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Part-Time JD Program?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:31:13 AM »
1) No, I'm not.
2) That's the challenge, isn't it? But you take less credits than a full time student, so can't be that hard. I managed to be drunk 6 days a week for three years in law school, I'm sure you'll find a way to work :p
3) Yes, you can be on law review, at least at all schools I'm familiar with.
4) There's little, if any, reason to have an internship during the school year anyway.
5) Job prospects should be about the same, no reason why it wouldn't be. You've learned the same things, you just took 4 years learning it instead of 3.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Part-Time JD Program?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:11:17 PM »
1. I am a part-time student.  I plan to switch to full-time next semester because the part-time is actually 5 years (4 years if you go year around with no summer breaks...ever.)
2.  Working full time will be a challenge.  The difference between full and part time is not a measure of being more or less hard, but doing the work in a substantially less amount of allotted time.  Although part timers take one less class then the full time counterpart, there is less time to actually do the reading required.  Simply put, the challenge of law school is no less if you are part time.
3.  Law Review should not be your concern as you DEFINATELY will not have time for it and work full time.  Law Review is something that is done in addition to the regular work load.  However, enter at your own risk.
4. You do not need any intership during the school year, however, you will need to have something lined up by the summer.  I recieved an intership a law firm (paid) for the summer. 
5.Job prospect are not different.  However, you do need to have good grades.  I was asked about my grades and class rank.  It also helps if you know what type of law you want to practice.  I want to practice veterans law and there are only a few firms who do this in my area.  I walked in with my resume (they were not hiring) and got an interview on the spot. I showed how passionate I was for the veterans law and subsequently got a second interview a week later.  Now I have been scheduled for a 3rd (final) interview with the staff and I will start after finals. 

I hope that I was of some help.