Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL vs. U of Minnesota  (Read 2278 times)

spacecadet

• View Profile
WUSTL vs. U of Minnesota
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:24:28 AM »
The situation:

UofM: 20,000/year scholarship (54% of tuition). I really enjoyed Minneapolis but wasn't too impressed by their admitted students weekend. (About $84,000 of debt after 3 years)

The admissions staff at UofM were also very kind and willing to be helpful but their response to emails hasn't been too great, there was just something about the students that I couldn't put my finger on, and the Dean didn't speak to us until the second day of admitted students weekend.

Wash U: 15,000/year scholarship (35% of tuition). I was really impressed by their admitted students weekend but was not impressed by St. Louis. (About $111,000 of debt after 3 years).

The admissions staff at Wash U have always been attentive, answering my emails almost immediately and the staff (professors and administration) all had great enthusiasm about the program and I was really impressed by the Dean. And, they have an amazing clinical program.

My aspirations are to practice International Development law or Immigration/Asylum Law and it is really important for me to return to my home state of California (specifically the SF Bay Area). I know that I'll be at a disadvantage at either school since they are in the Midwest and that's where their main markets are. Which has a larger national reach?

I've already deposited at Wash U. UofM's deposit deadline is tomorrow ($750)... should I deposit if I'm unsure?

Help?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WUSTL vs. U of Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:00:22 AM »
If you want to live in San Francisco go to law school in San Francisco. Do not make your decision based on U.S. rankings! They are bogus and made up of a complete B.S. formula and the ABA, LSAC, and AALS adamantly warn you NOT to base your decision on the rankkings.  If you can get into University of Minnesota or University of Washington St. Louis.  I would imagine you can get into Hastings or get a scholarship at Santa Clara or USF and then you will be in San Francisco and it will be a lot easier to find a job in San Francisco if you go to law school in San Francisco.  If you want a job in Minneapolis go to University of Minnesota. If you want a job in St. Louis go to WUSTL.  None of those schools are Harvard and they don't have that much national reach they are good schools, but odds are you will not end up in San Francisco if you don't go to law school in San Francisco.

spacecadet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:46:50 AM »
I wanted to get out of California, for now. I've never lived in another state and wanted some perspective on the United States. I know that I have disadvantages at either school but I want some personal growth.

Given that, I'm asking whether U of Minnesota or Wash U has a greater reach. It wasn't just a rankings game.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
I'm inclined to say Wash U, but that could definitely not be right.  I think it's really up to you to maintain connections and relationships with people back in California that could get you the job you wanted, no matter what school you go to.  Neither of them has the national reach that a school like Harvard has, so if those are you're only two choices you'll have to risk it and do your best to get back to Cali, there's really nothing either of the schools can do for you.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
Honestly, law school is not the best time to do self-exploration. It is no joke and you are spending 100,000 on it and it should be taken pretty seriously. I really don't think it is  smart to go off to Missouri or Minnesota if you want to end up in California. Unless you go to a T14 it is really not a good idea to go to a school outside of the area you want to live in. Also, considering you have never left California you are probably going to go through home sickness when you get to either area. I have moved around quite a bit prior to law school and it is a little bit of adjustment and it can create some stress and if you add that stress on top of law school stress, which is intense the first semester it might end up not going well. Obviously, people do fine and go to law schools in distance places and do fine. It really just sounds like you are creating some unnecessary obstacles for yourself, but that is just my opinion.

lrb2010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
If it's international development or immigration/asylum law you're interested in, WUSTL is fantastic. I'm a current 3L  with a strong interest in international law, and I can attest that the curriculum and opportunities are tremendous. 

Additionally, the above poster's assertion that WUSTL is the place to go if you want a job in St. Louis is incorrect.  Most of the people I know are not working in St. Louis. Local employers tend to hire quite a bit more from SLU.

blackberry123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »
Yeah I think that is generally accurate, I think that if you are married to the idea of practicing in Cali you should really consider going to a law school in the state, you are gonna be more connected in terms of EIW hiring and alumni, which matters more than you might initially think. Wash U numbers should put you in the running for UCLA and USC, which  might be better choices for you.