Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Guys: How Would You Feel if Fiance Wouldn't Change Her Last Name?  (Read 13222 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Guys: How Would You Feel if Fiance Wouldn't Change Her Last Name?
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
Thats like saying you dont look like a loser and dont have marital issues just becuase you sleep in different beds in different rooms each night.

Ok, what if what I expect of my husband is to lack expectations of me...lol

One standard marital expectation is sexual fidelity.  The failure of either partner in this area can lead to STD's which in turn can cause sterility and even death.  This seems a reasonable expectation because of the consequences.  What are the negative consequences of a wife not taking her husbands name that he can point to and say "look at the harm that will be done if you don't take my name". 

I don't think men have much of a leg to stand on demanding that women change their names because "omg how will it look to other people if you don't change your name".  I doubt that men routinely lose respect or social status, health or wealth because of their wife's last name.

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
Will this thread never die????????

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »
Not with jerkoffs like you bumping it.
"the doctor said my nose wouldn't bleed so much if I stopped putting my finger up there...."  :P

Will this thread never die????????

MEMEMEME

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »
Stomp, stomp, stomp, die thread die! Rrrrrr! Die! Ok it's dead.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2010, 12:09:04 PM »
who taught that A-hole from cooley CPR?!?!?!  >:(

Stomp, stomp, stomp, die thread die! Rrrrrr! Die! Ok it's dead.

mpedede

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
Hmm interesting. Never had that asked to me before. Hyphanate, when the divorce is done just remove the hyphen. Just kidding. Most importmant, is the relationship it self. Is the relationship healthy? If the relationship isn't healthy, the name won't matter. It easy to get a divorce. I'm from northen minnesota, it seems like when people get a divorce, the lawyers are basically dividing up stuff and just getting the divorce over with. The couple has to accept that they are seperated. If they want to get back together again in the future, its up to them, but remeber what got them seperated. If I was a judge, or even as a person, i expect both parties to move on with their life as an individual. I don't hear trash talking towards one another. Sometimes a divorce leads to one party and or both parties talking bad about each other. That shows that the person is not strong. The person cannot move on. If restraining orders need to be put on, both parties need to respect the order. If a person decides to remove an order, it will be hard because as a judge, i don't want to hear, or even as a person, i don't want to hear day in and day out husband/wife bf/gf issues. That annoys people. Its individual freedom now that the divorce is final or the realtionship is over. So the name is not really an issue its the strength of the relationship itself.

mpedede

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
in the state of minnesota, if restraining order is put on between 2 parties, just saying hi, constitues punishment if the restraining order is still on. No contact no contact. If the order is order of protection, if you own guns they take it. Because the order is a threat of violence. If the defendant takes the order to court and the judge finds no violence or threat the order gets drop. THe judge will ask the plaintiff wheater or not they want a harrassment order. Then the order is set for an ex amount of time. The plaintiff too, has to obey whats on the order. First violation is a mistameaner just a fine. Second time gross mistamear, 1 year in jail and or a fine. Third time felony prison. But the lawyers can negotiate the sentecning. The whole point is you cannot force someone else to love you. You cannot hold anything against someone if they leave you. Those are the guidlines for harrassment. Order for protection is worse. Prison time.

mpedede

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »
it doesn't matter. Its only a name. I've seen marriages that end. So its only a name.

JamesSimon

• MSN Messenger - jamessimon@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JamesSimon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - JamesSimon
    • View Profile
    • http://www.morrisontours.com
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2010, 08:40:25 PM »
^ maybe you're right. there's a lot more to think about than just a name. try hyphening your last name to hers. if that will settle it. but like i said, there's more things to think about than that.

also, search law books on legitimation of marriages based on that. ok?