Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State v. Pitt HELP!  (Read 1756 times)

cantdecide2010

• View Profile
Penn State v. Pitt HELP!
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
Penn State v. Pitt both at ~$10k per year.  Only interested in working government, either in criminal law or for PA state gov't.  Would prefer Western PA over Central and would possibly want some opportunity in DC (both have DC programs).  Love Pitt and SC so don't necessarily have a preference there, will one give me better prospects than the other?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Penn State v. Pitt HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
If you prefer Western PA over Central - Pitt.  That's about all there is to it.

cantdecide2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »
worried about oversupply of lawyers in Pitt and wouldn't mind working for a more rural DA office, plus harrisburg has more opportunities in government.  Then again I'd probably be more comfortable in Pitt with family and could see myself starting a life there...

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 12:05:53 AM »
I'm a 1L at Pitt, if you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. But overall, I have several friends working for the AG in Harrisburg, in da's offices outside the city, and a lot of 1L's are working for judges either here in the city or in the surrounding counties.

Are there any conditions on the scholarships that would make a difference?

cantdecide2010

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »
both top 1/2, do you like the school, are you happy with your decision?  Have you worked with career office (ive heard some negative reviews).  Any friends at PSU?  Thanks for your help :)

petes334

• View Profile
    • seattle criminal defense attorney
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
I would go with Pitt. In my book they have a better program.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
both top 1/2, do you like the school, are you happy with your decision?  Have you worked with career office (ive heard some negative reviews).  Any friends at PSU?  Thanks for your help :)

I'm very happy with my decision. I love it here, I honestly didn't think that law school would be such a great experience. I have interacted with CS. It depends on who you work with. But, we did just fire the head of career services [I mean, she left to "spend more time with her family"] so they'll be bringing in someone new from outside the law school. That's how Dean Crossley rolls -she looks outside of the school to add quality people.

I'm from MI so I don't know anyone that goes to Penn State. Although, there a several PSU ugrads here.

** Random CS fact of the day: Partners from Orrick Herrington Sutcliffe - www.orrick.com - were on campus today discussing the changes to their firm and talking about recruiting students from Pitt. They'll be doing OCI at Pitt in the fall, for the first time. Orrick is a very good, very large global firm.  

cantdecide2010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »
Thanks man thats some great info I really appreciate it.  Im originally from Pitt so I've seen the school but I haven't been in pitt for a significant amount of time in a while.  What about living? Anything close by you could recommend?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
You can live in Oakland, which is where Pitt is. But I would suggest looking into Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. It's a nicer, quitter and just as affordable. The vast majority of law students and graduate students live in these two neighborhoods. They're extremely accessible by bus - which is free to Pitt students. Everyone takes the bus in to Oakland every morning. Craiglist is where most people find their apartment. If you can visit the city, walking around especially in Shadyside, is the best way to find a good place.   

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
If you prefer Western PA over Central - Pitt.  That's about all there is to it.

Exactly.