Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Total Wildcard?  (Read 1041 times)

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Total Wildcard?
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:35:07 PM »
I am in a peculiar situation in my law school career and am looking to transfer.  I recently withdrew from law school during my 2L 2nd semester due to a tragic event in my personal life.  I'm at a T4 school somewhere in the top 25%.  My cumulative GPA is not stellar due to a poor 1st semester GPA (didn't figure out IRAC) but my cumulative GPA improved by 0.4 two semesters later and have made dean's list since.  Wrote-on law review (2nd best casenote), published, and one of my arguments have been quoted by a law professor in a law review article.  I see that people on here from T4 schools are usually in the top 5% when transferring to a T1.  Because of the conflict between my bad class rank vs. strong soft factors, I think it's a wildcard if I shoot for T1.  Any comments on my chances at Georgia, Alabama, Illinois, or maybe a T2 like Georgia State?             

cooleylawstudent

Re: Total Wildcard?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »
I'm a bit confused? What school did you start at? Why not go back there, it sounds like you were makeing progress.

I am in a peculiar situation in my law school career and am looking to transfer.  I recently withdrew from law school during my 2L 2nd semester due to a tragic event in my personal life.  I'm at a T4 school somewhere in the top 25%.  My cumulative GPA is not stellar due to a poor 1st semester GPA (didn't figure out IRAC) but my cumulative GPA improved by 0.4 two semesters later and have made dean's list since.  Wrote-on law review (2nd best casenote), published, and one of my arguments have been quoted by a law professor in a law review article.  I see that people on here from T4 schools are usually in the top 5% when transferring to a T1.  Because of the conflict between my bad class rank vs. strong soft factors, I think it's a wildcard if I shoot for T1.  Any comments on my chances at Georgia, Alabama, Illinois, or maybe a T2 like Georgia State?             

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
I was there on a full scholarship.  After I withdrew, the scholarship went.  It's not worth paying $30K+ a year for a T4 school to me. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »
ok, best of luck but you'd better have a grade-A excuse if you want anyone to take you. I don't doubt that it was though. Is it something you feel ok shareing?

If the T1's all say no, is it really worth losing one years salary not to do it? What is your job right now? How much does that pay? Do you want to do that untill you die?

I was there on a full scholarship.  After I withdrew, the scholarship went.  It's not worth paying $30K+ a year for a T4 school to me. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
ok better question, why can't you get the scholarship back? Would they even let you back in?

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »
I'm very sorry, but I don't feel comfortable talking about it...  I do have a few affordable T4 safe schools on my list. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
its ok. If its personal, its personal. If you have T4 safe schools, why not the origional one and save the heartache of a transfer?

I'm very sorry, but I don't feel comfortable talking about it...  I do have a few affordable T4 safe schools on my list.