Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know about the 5 year requirement?  (Read 1684 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone know about the 5 year requirement?
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
I know a lot of Bars require you to finish law school within 5 years.  Also a lot of law schools follow this by requiring the same thing.  I was wondering if you could ever finish it outside the timeframe if you did not want to take the Bar...

cooleylawstudent

Re: Anyone know about the 5 year requirement?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
I think thev5 years is more of a school requirment. Michigan is 6 years and I was tolf that the ABA rules allow up to 7.

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »
I think thev5 years is more of a school requirment. Michigan is 6 years and I was tolf that the ABA rules allow up to 7.

Do you know if you take longer if there's still a way to finish the JD or is that a requirement they won't be flexible with?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:34:25 PM »
It varies by state. What state are you in. How long have you been with it?

Do you know if you take longer if there's still a way to finish the JD or is that a requirement they won't be flexible with?

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »
It varies by state. What state are you in. How long have you been with it?

CA and I am coming up on 4 years, just in money problems and wondering if I will be giving up the chance to finish the JD (taking the Bar is a separate issue) if I can't finish it within the exact 5 year period...

Just want to be able to finish my degree instead of leaving it from ever being finished.  Taking the Bar and those requirements I can deal with, but I'd be pretty mad if I couldn't finish in any way if I couldn't get back to school and finish it within the next year...

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »
All you need to sit for the bar in CA is the ability not to drool on your keyboard. If you can string together coherent sentences; bonus points.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »
You seem to be more concerned with the JD requirments than the bar requirments, which is odd since a JD is useless without the bar and most(if not all) how policies that reflect the bar. If you think you dont qualify for the bar but want a JD anyways, ask your school, they might have a special policy for you.  A few have what's called an "executive JD" which is a nonBar JD.

For the record, CA like all other states has bar requirments. I'm told harder than most.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »
For the record, CA like all other states has bar requirments. I'm told harder than most.

The CA bar exam is generally considered to be the hardest; their requirements to actually sit for the bar are very lax.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »
how is the level of "hard" judged, is it by the level that pass and if wouldn't the fact that they let more people sit it dilute those figures significantly?

The CA bar exam is generally considered to be the hardest; their requirements to actually sit for the bar are very lax.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
how is the level of "hard" judged, is it by the level that pass and if wouldn't the fact that they let more people sit it dilute those figures significantly?

I don't have any factual knowledge of this but a colleague of mine from CA told me that while the CA Bar is a bit more difficult than most states, the extremely low pass rate is partly attributable to people who sit for the bar but don't have traditional legal training.  So I think it is a bit of both.