Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 155 LSAT || 3.0GPA [Advice Please!]  (Read 5782 times)

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
Re: 155 LSAT || 3.0GPA [Advice Please!]
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
Thanks for everyone's comments :)

It seems that the general consensus is for me to take another year and study to up my LSAT score.  I didn't know you had to be the top 10% of the class to be able to transfer to another school.

The thing is... I have already taken a year off (1 year since undergraduate) because my mother and grandfather had many medical complications and I had to take the year off to take care of them.  Would taking an EXTRA year off affect admission decisions?  Or would stating it in my personal statement/ alternate statement be sufficient enough?

P.S.
What are the negative consequences of getting a J.D. from Cooley by the way?  Just difficult to find a job at a law firm after law school? Or will it affect my whole legal career (i.e. Interviewer: "Omg, Cooley degree? Next applicant please!")

***IMPORTANT***
ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION! I have taken the LSAT 3 times already... 155 is my highest, taking the LSAT again would make it my fourth time. (I know about the 3 times within 2 years rule; so no need to bring that up :))

Considering you took the LSAT 3 times I think your best choice would be to apply with your present numbers. Is it your intent to practice in Lansing? If so your numbers give you a good shot at MSU. I think they take in a class during the spring semester, but I'm not sure. Also, Wayne State is pretty reputable within the state.
However, if you do decide to go to Cooley do it because you want to become an attorney. If your expecting a million dollar salary starting out of Cooley you are dead wrong. That being said Cooley will give you the necessary tools to pass the bar and become a good attorney. In the year I was at Cooley their bar passage was second in the state to Michigan. Also, with your numbers you qualify for a 50% scholly.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »
so even though cooley was second in the state for bar passage, you think they are worse to attend then the other schools with lower bar pass rates? How is failing the bar a positive thing?

It seems that the general consensus is for me to take another year and study to up my LSAT score.  I didn't know you had to be the top 10% of the class to be able to transfer to another school.

The thing is... I have already taken a year off (1 year since undergraduate) because my mother and grandfather had many medical complications and I had to take the year off to take care of them.  Would taking an EXTRA year off affect admission decisions?  Or would stating it in my personal statement/ alternate statement be sufficient enough?

P.S.
What are the negative consequences of getting a J.D. from Cooley by the way?  Just difficult to find a job at a law firm after law school? Or will it affect my whole legal career (i.e. Interviewer: "Omg, Cooley degree? Next applicant please!")

***IMPORTANT***
ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION! I have taken the LSAT 3 times already... 155 is my highest, taking the LSAT again would make it my fourth time. (I know about the 3 times within 2 years rule; so no need to bring that up :))

Considering you took the LSAT 3 times I think your best choice would be to apply with your present numbers. Is it your intent to practice in Lansing? If so your numbers give you a good shot at MSU. I think they take in a class during the spring semester, but I'm not sure. Also, Wayne State is pretty reputable within the state.
However, if you do decide to go to Cooley do it because you want to become an attorney. If your expecting a million dollar salary starting out of Cooley you are dead wrong. That being said Cooley will give you the necessary tools to pass the bar and become a good attorney. In the year I was at Cooley their bar passage was second in the state to Michigan. Also, with your numbers you qualify for a 50% scholly.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
You could get into low tier 2's and definitely tier 3's go to lawschoolnumbers.com and you can really see what schools you have a shot at. Or obviously LSAC and type in your UGPA & LSAT score.

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
so even though cooley was second in the state for bar passage, you think they are worse to attend then the other schools with lower bar pass rates? How is failing the bar a positive thing?

It seems that the general consensus is for me to take another year and study to up my LSAT score.  I didn't know you had to be the top 10% of the class to be able to transfer to another school.

The thing is... I have already taken a year off (1 year since undergraduate) because my mother and grandfather had many medical complications and I had to take the year off to take care of them.  Would taking an EXTRA year off affect admission decisions?  Or would stating it in my personal statement/ alternate statement be sufficient enough?

P.S.
What are the negative consequences of getting a J.D. from Cooley by the way?  Just difficult to find a job at a law firm after law school? Or will it affect my whole legal career (i.e. Interviewer: "Omg, Cooley degree? Next applicant please!")

***IMPORTANT***

I referenced to the bar passage rate at Cooley to show that you will be given the requisite tools to suceed if you attend. All I'm saying is that if you know you want to be an attorney and your options are limited than its not a bad idea to go to Cooley. I had very similiar numbers to you when I applied as a 1L and I decided to take the $$ at Cooley. However, I knew that I would have to start out with a 5 figure salary and that I may never make the big bucks. I was just fine with that. I had a passion for being an attorney. If I didn't place as well as I did and transferring was not an option than I would be content with graduating from Cooley.

Good luck to you.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »
So you have to "want to be a lawyer" to go to cooley? Yeah, I'd say that's something worth haveing pride over.

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »
So you have to "want to be a lawyer" to go to cooley? Yeah, I'd say that's something worth haveing pride over.

Believe it or not some people are not just in this thing for the money. Bottomline if you want to be a member of the legal profession and your options are limited don't let what some elitists think deter you from doing what you want in life.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:50:05 AM »

Believe it or not some people are not just in this thing for the money. Bottomline if you want to be a member of the legal profession and your options are limited don't let what some elitists think deter you from doing what you want in life.

There's a fine line between "elitists deterring you from what you want to do" and "people in the middle of it giving you sound advice".
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »
you like being "in the middle" dont you boy? :-X

There's a fine line between "elitists deterring you from what you want to do" and "people in the middle of it giving you sound advice".

thecountofmc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
After careful consideration and reading everyone's helpful comments; I've decided to apply to a few T3s and hope to start 1L in September 2010 :)

It seems like taking another year to just study for the LSAT would be a waste (since I have taken it 3 times already) and I am not confident that my score will improve THAT much... It just seems like it would have a chance of over 66% negative effect (if I take it 4 times and my score stays the same or drops) and less than 33% positive effect (IF, and ONLY IF, it improves, in which case would be only 1 or 2 points).
(Q1) Good decision not to take the LSAT a 4th time? I FEEL that my score would only end around the 153-157 ballpark.

As bigs mentioned, not everyone is meant for Harvard :) I really want to become an attorney, but either due to a lack of work ethics or just a lack of intelligence, my LSAT/UGPA is what it is.  As mentioned in this thread, I am glad that there are schools that give potential students that have non-superior scores a chance at a legal career.  I will just work A LOT harder in law school and see where I can go from there!

Once again, I thank everyone for their wisdom and advice on my situation.

Any further discussion is welcomed :D  Because sound advice is always helpful and difficult to find.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
Don't expect to find sound advice on this website. Do your own research. Take everything (even the ones initially sounding plausible) with a grain of salt. Lawyers (or law students) rarely go around asking questions from random people online. Better learn that before you go to law school, where you can be punished for asking what everyone else already knows.