Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do NOT go to law school (a sincere warning)  (Read 26449 times)

lawrookie

Re: Do NOT go to law school (a sincere warning)
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
Which branch were they trying for? Did they try all the military brances and their civilian jag counterparts too?
Did they keep applying untill they met the qualifications or just move onto something else?

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
from http://esqnever.blogspot.com/2010/04/responsible-0l.html
[snip rest of your post]

I love how you keep bringing up all these nuances, balanced sources of information for us. Seriously, are you this f-ing thick, or are you just a really dedicated troll?
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

TheCause

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
Which branch were they trying for? Did they try all the military brances and their civilian jag counterparts too?
Did they keep applying untill they met the qualifications or just move onto something else?

I know one guy who managed to do ROTC while he was in law school and he got a position (Army JAG)

I know of two other people who submitted applications but never interviews.  (Air Force JAG)  Both of them had above average grades and one was on law review.  They both went to the initial informational interviews and felt good about it, but neither of them ever heard anything.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »
and they failed to take the initiative to persue it untill it worked, why?
It sounds like the ROTC one got it because he knew how to keep trying.

I know one guy who managed to do ROTC while he was in law school and he got a position (Army JAG)

I know of two other people who submitted applications but never interviews.  (Air Force JAG)  Both of them had above average grades and one was on law review.  They both went to the initial informational interviews and felt good about it, but neither of them ever heard anything.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »

I have to say, I admire your knowledge of recruitment practices. In fact, you only needed to know two very superficial facts about someone before you could completely nail down why one person got hired and another didn't. Awesome.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »
These words say it all "they didn't hear anything back"

I have to say, I admire your knowledge of recruitment practices. In fact, you only needed to know two very superficial facts about someone before you could completely nail down why one person got hired and another didn't. Awesome.

TheCause

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »

I'm sure they could have done more, but the fact is that there are way more qualified applicants to JAG than job opportunities.
So a great deal of applicants simply can't get a job there no matter what they do.

The argument (that someone else made) that getting into JAG is some sort of easy back-up plan is ridiculous.
It's almost as silly as those who claim anyone can get a job at a DAs office.   Most public sector jobs are extremely competitive. 

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2010, 11:14:38 PM »

I'm sure they could have done more, but the fact is that there are way more qualified applicants to JAG than job opportunities.
So a great deal of applicants simply can't get a job there no matter what they do.

The argument (that someone else made) that getting into JAG is some sort of easy back-up plan is ridiculous.
It's almost as silly as those who claim anyone can get a job at a DAs office.   Most public sector jobs are extremely competitive.  

You make (sort of) a valid point. DA jobs are very attractive in metropolitan areas. In rural areas, DA jobs are not that attractive. But yeah, in the major cities, DA jobs are only marginally behind BigLaw and Federal clerkships in terms of selectivity. JAG is more manageable, but still not an easy job to get by any means. Especially not if you're gay.:p

Edit: I obviously forgot USAO, which at the very least belong together with BigLaw and FedClerk.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »

You do a lot with a little.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »
All you need is a little. Hell,if woman says only "I did it to watch him bleed out" that's pretty much all you need to make some major conclusions there too.

You do a lot with a little.