Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do NOT go to law school (a sincere warning)  (Read 27137 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Do NOT go to law school (a sincere warning)
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »
It really isn't exaggerated.  Going to a law school that's not one of absolute best is a bad idea right now.  Unless you don't pay for any of it, or you have family or friends who'll give you a job.

Going to T2 and below school with 100K+ of expected debt is not smart, simple as that. 

The OP is a T14 3L, as am I. It's bad, but not for everyone. Myself and plenty of my friends have something lined up.

As for T2s, I am not qualified to opine, but I do hear it is horrendous.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
It really isn't exaggerated.  Going to a law school that's not one of absolute best is a bad idea right now.  Unless you don't pay for any of it, or you have family or friends who'll give you a job.

Going to T2 and below school with 100K+ of expected debt is not smart, simple as that. 

The OP is a T14 3L, as am I. It's bad, but not for everyone. Myself and plenty of my friends have something lined up.

Hold it there: no one said it was a bad investment for everyone at T14s. If you think I exaggerated, please tell these people where I exaggerated. Obviously there are people in T14s who, because of either exceptional grades or because of a good family, get jobs. The vast majority of people I know do not have full-time employment lined up. Also, while not in the top 10%, I am a good student, was on the Dean's List, have good journal experience, have a great resume with attractive stuff from even my pre-law years. For God's sake, it's even hell at Harvard.

You think I'm going to let these law schools bilk even MORE money from my fellow men and women? Why should I? So I can feel better about myself? No, that's dishonest.

Are you also going to tell me that T14 law schools are NOT rushing to give unemployed students research and library assistant positions so that the employment figure looks good for US News? Come on now.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 06:12:09 PM »

I'm at T25 but I really can't imagine that we're doing much better than T2 folks.  And surely not EVERYONE is struggling to find a job, but MAJORITY of Class of '10.  There surely must be better ways to invest 150K than go to law school no?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »
If you believe that, why waste the last year? Quit.

I'm at T25 but I really can't imagine that we're doing much better than T2 folks.  And surely not EVERYONE is struggling to find a job, but MAJORITY of Class of '10.  There surely must be better ways to invest 150K than go to law school no?

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »
What?  I'm graduating in less than a month.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »
good, and why didn't you quit last term when it was equally bad?

quote author=no name link=topic=4023233.msg5377001#msg5377001 date=1271629412]
What?  I'm graduating in less than a month.
[/quote]

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
Here is the big easy to understand part. Babies on this board bittch that they should make $160K first year, thats your tuition. If it takes you longer, thats ok too. If you would have made $40,000 as an office worker with your basicly BA(vs probally half that without it in a factory somewhere) then how is it bad to double that? It takes awhile to pay off, but even if you "fail" and make only $50K or so the first few years, who gives a *&^%?

Even more to the point, who cares if you make $20K, student loans disappear as long your not a coward and use student loan forgivness, grow a pair!

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »
bigs, I've always wanted to be a lawyer and I've really enjoyed studying law.  I also think I would love working as a lawyer, hence why I was willing to invest that kind of money into it.  The question is what do I do now that I am a lawyer.  True the economy will pick up, things will get better, but to rely on that is easier said than done.  And it's easier for someone who does have a job lined up.

Sir :)=, what part of "law grads aren't complaining because of lack of 160K jobs, they're complaining because there are no jobs PERIOD", don't you understand?  You talk about a 50K jobs as if they're all over the place out there, they aren't.  

And please tell me you're joking about dropping out last semester or even last year?  I honestly refuse to believe that someone who's about to graduate law school (?) actually thinks that's a reasonable solution.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »
Hey Fetus(undergrad not yet "born") No shitt I don't want people to quit last term, I don't want them to quit first term. Read all my posts if you need proof, people just act like its not worth it yet keep walking forward. They are hypocrits. Plain and simple.

As for you, go for it. Don't let other try to make slip on their pile of tears. Yes, jobs are "everywhere" To get rid of your student debt anyways. Join the military, join the PeaceCorps, Americorps,etc. Yeah you'll make less than the $160K that people think they deserve, but so the fuckk what? Get rid of the debt, get the experience and when the opportunity comes you'll be ready for it, vs the guy going "I could've done it, but didn't think it was worth it"....

bigs, I've always wanted to be a lawyer and I've really enjoyed studying law.  I also think I would love working as a lawyer, hence why I was willing to invest that kind of money into it.  The question is what do I do now that I am a lawyer.  True the economy will pick up, things will get better, but to rely on that is easier said than done.  And it's easier for someone who does have a job lined up.

Sir :)=, what part of "law grads aren't complaining because of lack of 160K jobs, they're complaining because there are no jobs PERIOD", don't you understand?  You talk about a 50K jobs as if they're all over the place out there, they aren't.  

And please tell me you're joking about dropping out last semester or even last year?  I honestly refuse to believe that someone who's about to graduate law school (?) actually thinks that's a reasonable solution.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
I seriously don't even know what you're talking about, it seems you have some reading comprehension issues.  You most certainly have some attitude issues.

I'm not crying and I don't advocate anyone dropping out of law school, first or last semester.  I just wanted to give my opinion to people who are about to commit to law school.  It's a serious life choice and people should know what it's really like out there.  The situation is dire out there, for LEGAL JOBS.  No *&^% you can join the Army.  You can do that without law school and save a bunch of money.  But don't for a second think that someone will want to hire you after you just spent three years after law school doing nothing law-related.  How is that a good investment?

And I don't even understand why you're being so angry and obnoxious about it.