Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do NOT go to law school (a sincere warning)  (Read 27054 times)

angel the lawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do NOT go to law school (a sincere warning)
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »
Wow. This board is so hard to navigate.  I'm Angel from http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com and I saw that I have been getting traffic from this site.  I snuck a peak and I wanted to make a correction.  Both Hardknocks (my co-blogger) and I went to first tier schools. She went to a T14 and I went to a T30.  We are having an extremely difficult time finding work and I formerly worked for BigLaw and I've been out 10 years.  You guys have no clue what it's like in the legal industry. It's been bad since I graduated. Worst case scenario, you work for a *&^% law small firm for a pittance (or today.. you are unemployed and homeless).  Best case scenario, you get a BigLaw job and your tossed out in 3 to 5 years.  Then you're stuck earning pennies in nonprofit. There is no long term, profitable option.  So, do what you want. But think of me when you're doing temp doc review for $28/hour.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 12:16:38 AM »
From the horses(and probally horse-faced) mouth itself, "$28/hour"....what a whinny little self rightous A-hole.
So, in this "you wasted your life" scenario your still makeing 3X more than the idiots who didn't do it. Yeah, if that is worst case scenario, sign me up! WHAAAA....my mommy can't wipe my bum with $100 bills, we have to settle for singles....why did God do this to me.... :P

Wow. This board is so hard to navigate.  I'm Angel from http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com and I saw that I have been getting traffic from this site.  I snuck a peak and I wanted to make a correction.  Both Hardknocks (my co-blogger) and I went to first tier schools. She went to a T14 and I went to a T30.  We are having an extremely difficult time finding work and I formerly worked for BigLaw and I've been out 10 years.  You guys have no clue what it's like in the legal industry. It's been bad since I graduated. Worst case scenario, you work for a poo law small firm for a pittance (or today.. you are unemployed and homeless).  Best case scenario, you get a BigLaw job and your tossed out in 3 to 5 years.  Then you're stuck earning pennies in nonprofit. There is no long term, profitable option.  So, do what you want. But think of me when you're doing temp doc review for $28/hour.

angel the lawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »
You're such a stupid idiot.  Do you assume you work for the whole year?  You are lucky if you get work 6 months out of the year.  How much is that annualized?   

From the horses(and probally horse-faced) mouth itself, "$28/hour"....what a whinny little self rightous A-hole.
So, in this "you wasted your life" scenario your still makeing 3X more than the idiots who didn't do it. Yeah, if that is worst case scenario, sign me up! WHAAAA....my mommy can't wipe my bum with $100 bills, we have to settle for singles....why did God do this to me.... :P

Wow. This board is so hard to navigate.  I'm Angel from http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com and I saw that I have been getting traffic from this site.  I snuck a peak and I wanted to make a correction.  Both Hardknocks (my co-blogger) and I went to first tier schools. She went to a T14 and I went to a T30.  We are having an extremely difficult time finding work and I formerly worked for BigLaw and I've been out 10 years.  You guys have no clue what it's like in the legal industry. It's been bad since I graduated. Worst case scenario, you work for a poo law small firm for a pittance (or today.. you are unemployed and homeless).  Best case scenario, you get a BigLaw job and your tossed out in 3 to 5 years.  Then you're stuck earning pennies in nonprofit. There is no long term, profitable option.  So, do what you want. But think of me when you're doing temp doc review for $28/hour.

angel the lawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
By the way, I'm not horse faced. You wish your girlfriend looked like me. 
I can't help people who have IQs lower than their shoe size.  Ciao!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 12:58:45 AM »
Guy, I've been a "temp worker" in the past, two things are certin with that. 1) You will find other temp jobs if with a temp agency as long as your not stuck up your own ass about what your self rightous self is willing to take

2) You'll find fulltime work, either through placement or by looking on as you go.

Is it just me, or anyone else tired of all the losers who can't make it work, bitching that they only make in a month the same as a person with a real job makes in a year? You want work, go clean a toilet or build a car, if not stop your bitchin' you baby. You get really hard up, there's always a war looking to get fresh meat for the grinder too.  :'(

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 01:00:24 AM »
the daddy took care of me princess routine, yep. should've seen that comeing.....

By the way, I'm not horse faced. You wish your girlfriend looked like me. 
I can't help people who have IQs lower than their shoe size.  Ciao!

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 08:20:45 AM »
Guy, I've been a "temp worker" in the past...

In the legal industry?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »

Sorry for the mistake. You are doing a great service for young Americans. I don't understand the nastiness here whenever anyone tries to say the truth.

TheCause

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 11:46:16 AM »
All of these discussions are really interesting to me.  We have a few T3-T4 defenders who want people to know that there are opportunities out there and that law school isn't a waste of money and time.

But the decision is simply a risk/reward analysis.  Employment statistics in T2 schools are horrible right now, and I'm sure they are even worse at T3-T4 schools.  Maybe 100,000 of debt was a reasonable risk when you had a 25% chance of making 100,000+ a year.

I was an above average law student.  
160 LSAT, went to a school ranked between 60-90, Ranked 50/160,  law review board member.
I came to law school hoping to work for a medium law firm.  I eventually wanted to work in health law.

Well now I'm fortunate enough to have a job making 60,000 in the public sector because I worked my tail off during my summer internships (I didn't get any offers to intern for firms I was interested in)

So even though I'm surviving, I'm not doing what I want to do.  Even though I wasn't awesome student, I'm still probably in the top third of candidates out there for jobs.  

The risk of getting paid less than 50,000 after graduation is very high.
The risk of working in a less-than-ideal job is even higher.

So I would encourage people to go to law school, but only if you have good surrounding circumstances.  Savings, family connections, high LSAT score, full scholarships, legal experience, etc.

It used to be an okay idea to go to any respectable law school and take on a ton of debt... those days are over.

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »
It is good you pointed pointed this out to everybody. I had no idea a J.D. did not guarantee me 100k a year job and your telling me I might even have to some document review, like read documents (I never in a million years as a lawyer thought I would have to read documents, that is outrageous!!!. On top of this reading that I will have to do I might make only $28/hour?  That sounds awful oh my god the sheer terror of it all. I thought when you graduated law school law partners were waiting on the stage at graduation with contracts in hand and I just picked the one that would pay be exorbitant amounts of money to do nothing.  Then I could go out and tell everybody I was a lawyer and literally never do anything, unless of course it really interested in me then I might put a few hours of time in, until of course those documents came in.  DOCUMENT REVIEW OH MY GOD that does not sound fun. I am dropping out immediately I had no idea I would actually have to put in work to find a job or that if someone is paying me $28/hr or 224 a day they would want me to something for it and maybe even something I don't like.

I will get a degree in some filed that guarantees me a 100k a year job and does not require me to do anything I don't want to do.  I just tried to google in high-paying ridiculous easy glamorous job and it doesn't look like it exists. Obviously, you have the answer to where I can find that so please let me know. If you do find it I will drop out immediately I would love to be paid outrageous amounts of money to do nothing it would be Fing awesome!

I don't think you really understand what DocReview is. You are making light of a situation where people bust their asses for years while paying tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars just to work 14 hour days yielding between $30k and 60k a year, all on a TEMPORARY basis. Keep listening to the talk radio when you really should be listening to those who know what the heck they're talking about.