Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question Test #9 (Oct 93), Section 2 #23  (Read 637 times)

rabha

• View Profile
Question Test #9 (Oct 93), Section 2 #23
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
This question is about a poor farmer giving several criteria to his children about poor, rich, honest, and dishonest people.  I understand that we have to create rules "if not rich then poor," "If not dishonest, then honest," etc.  But how should I proceed from here.  The contrapositive of the correct answer (A) makes sense, but how would I do this problem without first looking at the answer choices?

Thanks a lot,

cooleylawstudent

Re: Question Test #9 (Oct 93), Section 2 #23
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:54:42 PM »
Guy asks the doctor, "how do I make my arm stop hurting when I bend it?" Doctor says "stop bending it"

Here's the answer, ALWAYS look at multiple choice options. Thats how you know what to pick from. Remember you dont have one perfect and three or four wrong, you have the "most right" and "most wrong" it's not the same as undergrad multiple choice and I'm told its good practice for the bar which is largely the same way. Do MC as MC and essay as essay, don't try to make it harder by doing each backwards.

This question is about a poor farmer giving several criteria to his children about poor, rich, honest, and dishonest people.  I understand that we have to create rules "if not rich then poor," "If not dishonest, then honest," etc.  But how should I proceed from here.  The contrapositive of the correct answer (A) makes sense, but how would I do this problem without first looking at the answer choices?

Thanks a lot,

F458JE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
Guy asks the doctor, "how do I make my arm stop hurting when I bend it?" Doctor says "stop bending it"

Here's the answer, ALWAYS look at multiple choice options. Thats how you know what to pick from. Remember you dont have one perfect and three or four wrong, you have the "most right" and "most wrong" it's not the same as undergrad multiple choice and I'm told its good practice for the bar which is largely the same way. Do MC as MC and essay as essay, don't try to make it harder by doing each backwards.

Thanks a lot,

Your response is a classical circular reasoning!  ;D

OP, post the original question or send it to me through the forum. People will be able to help you out easier. From your post it seems like you are wanting to know how to prephrase before moving on to the answer choices. This is the absolute best method for attacking "most" problems. Hard to say without knowing the full question.

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:46:49 PM »
We are told in the question, that in this world you are either rich or poor, and that all poor farmers are honest, so that all rich farmers must be dishonest. The flaw here is that even if it's true that in the world you are either rich or poor, and that all poor farmers are honest, it still might be true that some or all rich farmers are also honest.  If choice A, however, is taken as true, so that every honest farmer is poor, then it's no longer a possibility that some or all rich farmers are honest (honesty requires being poor), and the conclusion of the passage can be properly drawn.
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

rabha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:59:35 PM »
Really appreciated the help.  Exactly what I was looking for