Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for Top Scorers  (Read 1403 times)

F458JE

• View Profile
Question for Top Scorers
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
I have been studying for the LSAT for about two months now. For the most part I am acing the RC and LG sections, though I am still missing about 4-5 questions for each of the two Logical Reasoning sections. Generally speaking, about two of those missed questions I should have answered correctly. Meaning I misread the question stem or just a dumb error. This still leaves me with not understanding 2-3 questions per LR section. I have gone through the PowerScore and ExamKrackers books, as well as skimming the Kaplan: Your Only Guide to a 180.

What methods can I use to eclipse those last few missed questions? Will I just begin "to get it" over these last seven weeks? I am an incremental theorist so I do not feel I am stuck in the low 170's, but I am lost as to what I can do... My goal is a +175 and acceptance at UCLA  ;D.

Thank-you!

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
Re: Question for Top Scorers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »
If you'd like, feel free to send me a personal message with a question that has caused you some difficulty, and we can try and work through the flaws in reasoning.
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »
If you're gonna hit 175, why UCLA??

Anyhoo, the stupid mistakes will hopefully disappear with practice.  Brain farts happen, and that sucks.  On my last real LSAT I missed an EASY games question because I misread a clue (twice).  Just make sure that it's really due to misreading rather than misunderstanding.  If you thought it said one word when it really said another, that's okay.  Nothing to fix, just try not to do that too often.  But if you thought it meant something else, that's a problem.

You should really spend a lot of time with the questions you didn't understand.  Write out in your own words what the premise is, what the conclusion is.  Write a full sentence or two explanation of each answer choice and why its right or wrong.  Think about other questions you've seen that work similarly or have similar mistakes in the answer choices.  Forcing yourself to actually articulate it (assuming your analysis is accurate) proves that you understand it.  When that type of question shows up again, you're gold.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »
If you're gonna hit 175, why UCLA??

Warm weather all year round plus probably a full ride?  Sounds kind of tempting to me.  :D
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »
I scored a 181, what do you want to know?

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:04:04 AM »
I have been studying for the LSAT for about two months now. For the most part I am acing the RC and LG sections, though I am still missing about 4-5 questions for each of the two Logical Reasoning sections. Generally speaking, about two of those missed questions I should have answered correctly. Meaning I misread the question stem or just a dumb error. This still leaves me with not understanding 2-3 questions per LR section. I have gone through the PowerScore and ExamKrackers books, as well as skimming the Kaplan: Your Only Guide to a 180.

What methods can I use to eclipse those last few missed questions? Will I just begin "to get it" over these last seven weeks? I am an incremental theorist so I do not feel I am stuck in the low 170's, but I am lost as to what I can do... My goal is a +175 and acceptance at UCLA  ;D.

Thank-you!

You don't understand why the answer is correct even when you know what it is?

That was what worked for me: the things I got wrong, I looked at the correct answer afterward and made sure that I understood why it was correct.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:22:11 AM »

That's totally awesome.

sequoia90

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »
The best thing I did was to cut out questions I missed and keep track of them in a notebook (and write down detailed explanations).

I also made an excell spreadsheet to track my performance for each question type.

These two combined REALLY helped me pinpoint where i was making silly mistakes.

PM me if you'd like me to email you my excell spreadsheet.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to know what flavor of crack you've been smoking. Smells of donkey..... :P