Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US NEWS RANKINGS leak (2011)  (Read 26976 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: US NEWS RANKINGS leak (2011)
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
or at the same time, driveing flying from a weekday MD course in another town to the cooley weekend course. Cooley students are just that awsome! Hell, if the school is across Lake Michigan, I wouldn't be suprised if a few couldn't just walk on water to get there.  ;)

They obviously would have gotten the M.D. from a different school, before going to law school.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
Or even if you wanted to work in medical malpractice if someone has a M.D. and a J.D. from Touro and they want to work at a medical malpractice firm they will have an edge over a Stanford Grad for that specific job.

The Stanford grad would be quite unlikely to be applying for a medical malpractice job in the first place. Even so, you really don't need all that much medical knowledge to do medmal. It's helpful in evaluating the merits in the case, but you already need to hire experts to do that.

But back to the original point, different schools have different employment circles. The Stanford grad is going to either be working in biglaw (V100 biglaw, not regional), going into a federal clerkship, or working in public interest. There are effectively no Cooley graduates doing v100 biglaw or doing federal clerkships. That's not a slam on the school, just a descriptive fact. As a general rule, Cooley grads won't even be applying to those positions. They might compete in the public interest sphere, but even then it's quite unlikely. However, I have no doubt that a Stanford grad would have a very hard time finding employment at a Michigan personal injury firm, which might pick a Cooley grad instead.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 02:46:20 AM »
Yea I totally agree and I don't think anyone needed U.S. News Rankings to tell us that Stanford opens more doors than Cooley.

That was the whole point of my criticism of the rankings common sense can tell us all we need to know.  If they ranked the top #25 schools I would not have a problem, because it would be something for schools to strive for etc.  However, distinguishing between 78 and 103 really doesn't matter.  I have not heard any news that professors at Gonzaga, became flesh eating zombies now that they went from tier 2 to tier 3 in the newest edition of U.S. News. Unfortunately, as a result of this drop from #100 to tier #3, which could  a lot of Gonzaga applicants will withdraw and go to University of Maine who held onto their #2 status this year, but when studetns get theri Gonzaga will probably back to tier #2 and Maine to Tier #3 and students will have made a horrible decision  based on U.S. News idiotic formula.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 06:01:50 AM »
...there is whole thing called common sense that exists in the real world and a lot of people on this board and in law school should learn about it. 

Ah "common sense," the thing that people throw out when they don't have data...
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

CooleyGrad

• ain't no sleep when you're living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 12:08:35 PM »
Yea I agree, unless language is a prerequisite for a specific job that is all I was trying to say.

A Cooley Grad could be fluent in 5 languages and have a M.D. if he goes into competition for a real estate law job with someone with 0 work experience that graduates from Harvard Law, the Harvard Grad will win. This is because speaking 5 languages and having a M.D. are irrelevant to real estate law and Harvard beats Cooley 99.9% of the time..

Depends on the real estate market -- international development gigs could love that diversity.  But the Ivy League tends to beat out just about everyone wouldn't you agree?

I think you could say the same of a UT law grad just because of the prestige of Harvard.  Obviously there is a large gap in he degree that Harvard would trump Cooley and the degree it would trump UT -- but just sayin'.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
...there is whole thing called common sense that exists in the real world and a lot of people on this board and in law school should learn about it. 

Yes you should throw in common sense and the U.S. News is not data at all. It is a blatant scam and there is nothing objective measured they do give bar passage rate a whopping 2% consideration in the rankings. The LSAT score I think is 10% the other measurements are completely subjective and based on unidentified people. 

Then acceptance and placement rates are so blatantly tweeked by every school that it is not even worth mentioning. So U.S. News is not data and should not be taken seriously.  You should use your common sense when picking a school, if you your choices are between Stanford and Williamette go to Stanford.

However, do not make the same mistake I know 3 people sincerely regret by transferring from GGU where they had full scholarship  to Santa Clara and USF in their second year. They thought it was such a good idea to go from tier 4 to tier 2. However, one guy is in the same internship with two of his section mates from GGU and the only difference is he has 80,000 more in debt, for going to a tier 2, which could end up being a tier 3 next year and GGU could go to tier 3 it is completely unpredicatable after the last #50 spots.

Anyways, common sense could have saved those three transfers 80,000, because you would realize Stanford and Berkley are right here. You impress people if you are from those schools and maybe Hastings, but outside of those employers are going to look more to your class rank, experience, reference etc rather than if you went to the 98th best school or the 121st.  USF, Santa Clara, GGU are not jaw dropping schools and there is no point in U.S. News ranking them.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
In my opinion the bar passage rate should be the MAIN issue. Attrition should be a factor too,but other than those two factors the rest is really just a BS popularity contest from what I can tell.

Yes you should throw in common sense and the U.S. News is not data at all. It is a blatant scam and there is nothing objective measured they do give bar passage rate a whopping 2% consideration in the rankings. The LSAT score I think is 10% the other measurements are completely subjective and based on unidentified people. 

Then acceptance and placement rates are so blatantly tweeked by every school that it is not even worth mentioning. So U.S. News is not data and should not be taken seriously.  You should use your common sense when picking a school, if you your choices are between Stanford and Williamette go to Stanford.

However, do not make the same mistake I know 3 people sincerely regret by transferring from GGU where they had full scholarship  to Santa Clara and USF in their second year. They thought it was such a good idea to go from tier 4 to tier 2. However, one guy is in the same internship with two of his section mates from GGU and the only difference is he has 80,000 more in debt, for going to a tier 2, which could end up being a tier 3 next year and GGU could go to tier 3 it is completely unpredicatable after the last #50 spots.

Anyways, common sense could have saved those three transfers 80,000, because you would realize Stanford and Berkley are right here. You impress people if you are from those schools and maybe Hastings, but outside of those employers are going to look more to your class rank, experience, reference etc rather than if you went to the 98th best school or the 121st.  USF, Santa Clara, GGU are not jaw dropping schools and there is no point in U.S. News ranking them.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »
In my opinion the bar passage rate should be the MAIN issue.

I generally like you, but this suggestion is dumb as shits. The difference in difficulty between the various bar exams are f-ing gigantic. So, no, bar passage rate shouldn't mean jack *&^% until you actually make everyone take the same bar exam.

I'd like to point out (again) that Cooley students have 30% bar pass rate on the California bar. I don't hear you bragging about that.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »
If a point is valid it shouldn't matter if it helps or hurts you only if it's valid or not. People in general are too egocentric to understand something as simple as that.

In my opinion the bar passage rate should be the MAIN issue.

I generally like you, but this suggestion is dumb as shits. The difference in difficulty between the various bar exams are f-ing gigantic. So, no, bar passage rate shouldn't mean jack poo until you actually make everyone take the same bar exam.

I'd like to point out (again) that Cooley students have 30% bar pass rate on the California bar. I don't hear you bragging about that.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 11:11:09 PM »
If a point is valid it shouldn't matter if it helps or hurts you only if it's valid or not. People in general are too egocentric to understand something as simple as that.

Care to explain what that's supposed to mean?
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.