Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT Diagnostic/practice....Advice on moving forward..  (Read 1841 times)

Endowing

• View Profile
Low LSAT Diagnostic/practice....Advice on moving forward..
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate any words of advice/wisdom.

I took my diagnostic test back in the early part of February when I started the Kaplan course I am currently enrolled in.  As the course has progressed, I have increased my studying time to pretty much any free time I now have. (on top of a full time job + 2hrs total commute).  I plan on taking the test in June.

My initial Diagnostic for the course was a 144.  We just took another practice test in the course, and I have only improved by 3 points to a 147.

From the breakdown:

In LR I significantly improved with Assumption type questions, and I seem to be "flawless" with the flaw questions, however MP, Method of Arg, Paradox, and Inference are my largest weak points. I was able to answer and complete roughly 17-18 of the 25 total LR questions per section, and seem to range about 3-5 wrong out of the 17-18 I tackle. (In practice on timed LR sections I am scoring with the same range of 17-18, and 3-5 wrong answers, occasionally only 1-2 wrong)

For LG I tripped myself up with the setup on one game, for all the questions I did tackle I got correct, but I missed an entire game due to time.  I feel with a repeated run through of games I will not have too much of an issue in this section, I am finding in practice I do not have too much issue with the Logic Games.

As for RC I appear to be an incredibly slow reader, or I spend too much time second guessing/ensuring that I have the information correct, and then only end up with enough time to tackle 2 passages.  I seem to not do that poorly on the questions, (answering incorrectly on only 1, or 2) however I miss a great deal of questions due to not even tackling the 2 other passages.

In all honestly I feel I have only really begun a dedicated and disciplined study plan about 3 weeks ago, initially I was failing to dedicate enough time after a full day of work, now I go directly to the library after work until it closes. I now average about 20 hours of study time per week.

I welcome any and all advice on what to do to improve my scores.  Also, with the June test roughly 2 months away, do I have enough time to improve adequately enough on the test to score above even a 160?

Thank you!

amassherst

• View Profile
Re: Low LSAT Diagnostic/practice....Advice on moving forward..
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate any words of advice/wisdom.

I took my diagnostic test back in the early part of February when I started the Kaplan course I am currently enrolled in.  As the course has progressed, I have increased my studying time to pretty much any free time I now have. (on top of a full time job + 2hrs total commute).  I plan on taking the test in June.

My initial Diagnostic for the course was a 144.  We just took another practice test in the course, and I have only improved by 3 points to a 147.

From the breakdown:

In LR I significantly improved with Assumption type questions, and I seem to be "flawless" with the flaw questions, however MP, Method of Arg, Paradox, and Inference are my largest weak points. I was able to answer and complete roughly 17-18 of the 25 total LR questions per section, and seem to range about 3-5 wrong out of the 17-18 I tackle. (In practice on timed LR sections I am scoring with the same range of 17-18, and 3-5 wrong answers, occasionally only 1-2 wrong)

For LG I tripped myself up with the setup on one game, for all the questions I did tackle I got correct, but I missed an entire game due to time.  I feel with a repeated run through of games I will not have too much of an issue in this section, I am finding in practice I do not have too much issue with the Logic Games.

As for RC I appear to be an incredibly slow reader, or I spend too much time second guessing/ensuring that I have the information correct, and then only end up with enough time to tackle 2 passages.  I seem to not do that poorly on the questions, (answering incorrectly on only 1, or 2) however I miss a great deal of questions due to not even tackling the 2 entire passages.

In all honestly I feel I have only really begun a dedicated and disciplined study plan about 3 weeks ago, initially I was failing to dedicate enough time after a full day of work, now I go directly to the library after work until it closes. I now average about 20 hours of study time per week.

I welcome any and all advice on what to do to improve my scores.  Also, with the June test roughly 2 months away, do I have enough time to improve adequately enough on the test to score above even a 160?

Thank you!

You're screwed.  I took a diagnostic exam where I scored in the mid-140's and I aimed to self-study for 160+ but only ended up in the mid-150's.

Kidding.  You seem to have an understanding of the breakdown of the question types that give you trouble.  That's a big plus.  Work on those.  Work on the timing.  Sorry, I don't have any helpful feedback.  I was a low scorer. :(  Good luck!

Endowing

• View Profile
Re: Low LSAT Diagnostic/practice....Advice on moving forward..
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
I appreciate the response, may I ask where you are planning to go, or where you have attended for law school?  I noticed your scores were 3.0/153.

I am similar (assuming I am unable to score high on LSAT), my gpa is not much higher than yours.