Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To older students - and those who already have jobs.  (Read 2495 times)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: To older students - and those who already have jobs.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 03:30:30 AM »

Hello,

I am almost getting into my mid 30's, and I have a full time job. I work at the court. I really enjoy helping people , and it gives me great satisfaction in putting a smile on their face because they got great service and information they were looking for. That said, I took the LSAT test, pretty much on a dare, and I got 160 (top 81%). All of a sudden prospect of a "good" school is very real, but I do not want to give up a job. I want to enhance my ability to serve the public- maybe become a PD or work for DA's office, but some schools, in  20-30's range, are in different states. One offered scholarship.

I would like to know if there are any other older students, from 30 to 40 years of age, who are/were in similar situation? What did you do or plan on doing?  Did you decide to take law school while still working or went into it full time and quit your work? How is your experience in law school as an older student if you are already there? If you got scholarship, does it only pays for tuition and not housing, books, food?

I would sincerely appreciate all of your opinions on this matter.

There are numerous differences in the full/part time options you mention, with advantages and disadvantages both ways.  There's a book, Later-in-Life Lawyers, if you're interested in others' takes on these questions.

Much of the answer might best rest on you.  If what you're looking for is a transition into a legal or quasi-legal position, there are many advantages to a part-time position.  Conversely, if you're seeking a stronger break with your current life, the advantages of the full-time option can be stronger.  Your experience at the court might prove quite valuable, for several reasons.  Just be careful not to show up your Civ Pro professor.  = :  )

chi2009

• View Profile
Re: To older students - and those who already have jobs.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:12:05 AM »

Much of the answer might best rest on you.  If what you're looking for is a transition into a legal or quasi-legal position, there are many advantages to a part-time position.  Conversely, if you're seeking a stronger break with your current life, the advantages of the full-time option can be stronger.  Your experience at the court might prove quite valuable, for several reasons.  Just be careful not to show up your Civ Pro professor.  = :  )

Haha - good point about the Civ Pro prof.  There are several people in my class who work at the court and some have tried to point out things that the prof got wrong.  It wasn't pretty.