Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cincinnati area - U. of Cincinnati vs. Northern Kentucky Chase (w/ scholarship)  (Read 1121 times)

CincyOH

• View Profile
Hi everybody - new guy here...

Does anyone have any input on this, because I've been going back and forth. Basically it goes like this:

I'm from Cincinnati, like the area, and want to stay here after I graduate. I've been accepted to both Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky Chase. I'm well aware of the rankings in this situation...

Chase gave me a scholarship ($10k/year), which leaves a difference of $14k/year out of my pocket for tuition. I have to maintain a 2.67 (B-) to keep the scholarship. I hear Chase grades on a tough C-curve and has a high 1L attrition rate.

Cincinnati did not give me a scholarship. Tuition is $21k/year (in-state). I've read their grading policy is slightly easier (B curve for 1L's, B+ curve for 2L's on up), with a much lower attrition rate.

I know Chase has a good enough reputation around Cincinnati even though it's not nationally ranked. On the other hand, Cincinnati is clearly the superior school (I've visited both). Is it worth the extra $7,000 - $8,000/year to go to Cincinnati, or should I take the money from Chase?

Thanks in advance!

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I would go with Cincinnati. The cost difference is not that great, especially since you have a 2/3 chance of not getting the scholarship back - not being a downer, I'm just saying. The reputation of Cincinnati will likely be worth it even if you do keep your scholarship at Chase.

Dutch90

• View Profile
    • Email
Tough call here, especially if you want to stay in Cinci.  At the end of the day, however, I'd go with Chase.  I don't know what your financial situation is, but I would take the money.  The fact is that if you do well at either school, you will find a job; if you do not do well, it will be more difficult.  A friend of mine had a similar Chase scholarship, but I think the GPA minimum was lower (like a 2.3 or something), so you might want to check that out.  Also, he told me that Chase no longer has a required curve for first-year students, so your chances of keeping the money are good.  Three more things - the attition rate at Chase is not as high as you think, and a lot of those people are the part-time students who could not handle a full-time job, law school, and a family.  I don't think UC has a night program, so its attrition rate will be lower.  Finally, in this economy, you want to carry as little debt as possible.  There is nothing worse than having to take a job you don't want simply because you are $75,000 in the hole.  Finally, my friend said he really enjoyed the people at Chase, and that he enjoyed his experience there.