Law School Discussion

Cincinnati area - U. of Cincinnati vs. Northern Kentucky Chase (w/ scholarship)

Hi everybody - new guy here...

Does anyone have any input on this, because I've been going back and forth. Basically it goes like this:

I'm from Cincinnati, like the area, and want to stay here after I graduate. I've been accepted to both Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky Chase. I'm well aware of the rankings in this situation...

Chase gave me a scholarship ($10k/year), which leaves a difference of $14k/year out of my pocket for tuition. I have to maintain a 2.67 (B-) to keep the scholarship. I hear Chase grades on a tough C-curve and has a high 1L attrition rate.

Cincinnati did not give me a scholarship. Tuition is $21k/year (in-state). I've read their grading policy is slightly easier (B curve for 1L's, B+ curve for 2L's on up), with a much lower attrition rate.

I know Chase has a good enough reputation around Cincinnati even though it's not nationally ranked. On the other hand, Cincinnati is clearly the superior school (I've visited both). Is it worth the extra $7,000 - $8,000/year to go to Cincinnati, or should I take the money from Chase?

Thanks in advance!

• View Profile
I would go with Cincinnati. The cost difference is not that great, especially since you have a 2/3 chance of not getting the scholarship back - not being a downer, I'm just saying. The reputation of Cincinnati will likely be worth it even if you do keep your scholarship at Chase.

Tough call here, especially if you want to stay in Cinci.  At the end of the day, however, I'd go with Chase.  I don't know what your financial situation is, but I would take the money.  The fact is that if you do well at either school, you will find a job; if you do not do well, it will be more difficult.  A friend of mine had a similar Chase scholarship, but I think the GPA minimum was lower (like a 2.3 or something), so you might want to check that out.  Also, he told me that Chase no longer has a required curve for first-year students, so your chances of keeping the money are good.  Three more things - the attition rate at Chase is not as high as you think, and a lot of those people are the part-time students who could not handle a full-time job, law school, and a family.  I don't think UC has a night program, so its attrition rate will be lower.  Finally, in this economy, you want to carry as little debt as possible.  There is nothing worse than having to take a job you don't want simply because you are $75,000 in the hole.  Finally, my friend said he really enjoyed the people at Chase, and that he enjoyed his experience there.