Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT course in LA???  (Read 2012 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: LSAT course in LA???
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:01 PM »
which one did you use?

now I am really confused.What is paging Jeffort ????
Any suggestions other than Kaplan??

PowerScore or TestMasters generally. But yes, the "Anything but Kaplan" answer is by and large correct.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »
which one did you use?

I didn't take one, if I were to do-over I'd go with TestMasters.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:35:44 AM »
and you'd recommend?

I'd recommend not paying attention to brand names, and do some serious investigation about the instructors.  If they won't give you access or information about the instructor before you give them money, they're hiding something.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:38:49 AM »
Blueprint prep

The Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 04:38:59 AM »
blueprint, powerscore, testmasters (the legit one) are the main three.

they all seemed fairly similar, but i ultimately chose blueprint due to good word of mouth and i believe it is a bit cheaper.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »
I used Blueprint and loved them. Not sure if they have anything in Glendale or Pasadena, but I know they have classes in downtown LA. Last I knew, the instructor there was Justin and he's amaaaaaaaaaazing. Seriously I <3 Justin (though, to be fair, I also took classes with Trent and Matt and liked both of them as well).
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
now I am really confused.    What is paging Jeffort ????
Any suggestions other than Kaplan??

I'm Jeffort and somehow missed getting paged here  :-[ .  I've been teaching and tutoring LSAT in Socal since 2001 so I'll weigh in on this.  The major big name prep course providers (except Princeton Review) offering courses in the LA area have been named already in the thread, but there is more to picking a class that will be effective for you than just brand name.  Here are several other things to consider that are important and worthy of researching before committing $1k or more:

-  Instructor quality.  How much experience and expertise does the particular instructor you will get have teaching LSAT prep classes?  For any given class offering, are you going to get a seasoned veteran instructor or a newbie that was recently trained?
   -  Quality of the course curriculum, methodology, class materials and included non classroom-time resources for study and review when outside of class.
   -  Location of the classroom.  Are you going to have to fight nightmare traffic getting to class on time?  That is a big issue in Los Angeles, otherwise known as the land of evening gridlock purgatory.  A class is pretty worthless if you cannot get there on time because you get stuck sitting on the freeway giving strangers the bird while trying to figure who's to blame for the 405/10/110/101 being parking lots rather than freeways.
   -  Class schedule start and end dates and times and frequency per week of class sessions.  How does that fit with your busy schedule and with the date of the LSAT administration you are going to take?  Does the class start long enough in advance of your test date to give you adequate prep time and time to do the homework?
   -  Class size.  Are you going to be in a giant, medium, or small class in terms of number of other students in the section.  This greatly influences how much personal attention you can get from the instructor and how easily and often you are able to ask a question and get the instructor to address it before, during and at the end of class sessions.

To figure these things out and which class is a good fit for you, you must do deeper research than just asking 'which company should I go with?' by making phone calls, asking specific detailed questions and seeking personal experiences/opinions from others. 

For the LA area I say that TM or PS are the better choices.  No matter the geographic location Kaplan is not known in the LSAT prep world for providing a strong curriculum or strong expert instructors.  Blueprint has gotten good anecdotal reviews over time, but I cannot recommend them for personal reasons.  Years ago when I started teaching LSAT and was working for the same company as Trent at the time (long before BP existed) he substituted for the instructor teaching in the adjacent room one day.  The GF/fiance (and now wife) of my best friend from grade school was in that section.  After class Trent hit on her and told her to dump her 'loser' boyfriend/fiance.  That made her cry and she called me in tears later that night.  Not that that has much to do with his LSAT teaching abilities, but still, the dude made my friend cry and question her engagement to my best friend!  That's just not cool.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 11:48:20 PM »
Is Kaplan cheaper?

Do people who take kaplan get lower score than their first lsat without it?

KaplanLSATInstructor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
I don't quite get that last question. Are you asking if people who take Kaplan get a LOWER score on the LSAT? If that's the question, the answer is an unqualified no. That would make for a pretty poor business model.

Kaplan takes a lot of flak from people on the boards, but many of the claims are based on hearsay, faulty assumptions, or other indirect knowledge of the company.

We have an immensely dedicated team that meticulously puts together what I feel is a very strong curriculum. I have worked with this team consistently and know the effort that goes into creating the best course we possibly can.

As for our teachers... look, I know that some people haven't had ideal experiences with their Kaplan instructors. However, that's not unique to Kaplan. I'm not saying it's okay -- it certainly sucks when you work hard to train a teacher and that person doesn't quite measure up.

However, after six years with Kaplan, I find that to be an anomaly rather than the norm. Most of the LSAT teachers that I talk to and work with on a daily basis are among the most reputable and hardworking people you'll ever meet. And they know this test -- love this test, live this test, and know how to teach this test.

Do what so many people suggest: go to the local centers. Speak to the people there. Speak to the actual LSAT instructors rather than the office staff. Do your research and ask questions. If you have specific questions about Kaplan, feel free to PM me. If you have questions about other companies, you're best bet is to seek somebody who teaches there.

- Chris