Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of Colorado vs. U of Denver ($)  (Read 1388 times)

doza

• View Profile
U of Colorado vs. U of Denver ($)
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:58:20 PM »
Hey everyone,

So I've narrowed my schools down to the University of Colorado (CU) and the University of Denver (DU). DU offered me a really good scholarship (over half tuition), but CU didn't offer me any grants or scholarships.

There are tons of pluses for both schools, and I am having the hardest time deciding. Anyone have any experience with either of these schools? Any tips on whether I should go for the school with the better reputation/higher ranking or the school that gave me more money?

I'm considering going into public interest, so less debt is a good thing! But I'm not positive about that . . . and I'll likely stay in Colorado after school.

Thank you SO much for any advice or insight. The deadlines are coming up very soon, and I'm still pretty confused about what to do.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: U of Colorado vs. U of Denver ($)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »
Describe how much debt you would have coming out from each school.

thinkinoutloud

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
**Disclaimer- I just paid my seat deposit to DU, I had many other options with $$ but settled on DU.

I think it really comes down to which school is the best fit for you.  While CU is higher ranked and enjoys a slightly better reputation nationally, the truth of the matter is that by and large it is still a regional school.  If you are unsure that you want to stay in Colorado, then you are rolling the dice with either of these schools as you will need to be towards the top of the class to be attractive elsewhere.  If you are sure you want to stay in Colorado, then I would go the route with the least debt.  Denver places more people in the Colorado legal market than any other school (50% of the Denver legal market are DU grads).  If you are staying in Denver then why pay the extra money?  Again though it comes down to where you are going to be comfortable.  The schools have very different feels, with CU being in Boulder and DU having a more urban campus.  I think both are good schools....so good luck with your decision.

errcraft

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »
I am a 2L at DU, and my significant other is a 3L JD/MBA candidate at CU. 

CU definitely enjoys a slightly superior reputation regionally, as well as nationally (especially among CU grads, of course).  However, DU has been climbing consistently in terms of its ranking and the quality of the students it attracts over the past few years.  I agree generally with the comments posted by "thinkinoutloud."  The one thing I would add, however, is that you can typically achieve in-state residency status at CU by your second year.  This makes CU a much more viable option, despite the DU scholarship.  This site delineates the steps you must follow to qualify for in-state tuition: http://registrar.colorado.edu/Students/tuition_classification_regulations.html#qualifiedperson.  My gf and I moved here from Delaware together, and she was able to qualify for in-state tuition after her first year.

I would also add that Boulder is a really great town from a quality of life standpoint (I live there as opposed to Denver).  I prefer it to Denver.  DU has the advantage of being in Denver, but it is not situated in a very exciting neighborhood.  That said, it is still in a great location, with its own light-rail stop.  It's also situated just off of I-25, which gives you convenient access to downtown, the mountains, etc. 

DU also has a different feel in terms of the classroom experience.  While CU takes a slightly more classical approach to instruction (the final exam is typically 100% of your grade, more Socratic method, fewer incremental, intra-semester assignments), DU is a bit more progressive in its approach.

I would suggest that you weigh your options in light of the above. After all of the math is done, if you're saving at least 10,000 dollars per year by attending DU, DU is definitely not a bad option.  Otherwise, I think CU is a better option.  Fortunately, you really can't go wrong either way.  Both schools have solid reputations and consistently turn out stellar lawyers.

doza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
Thanks for your responses, everyone!

In terms of debt, I'll have about $40,000 more if I went to CU. Yikes. But that being said, I do think I would be a bit happier at CU so I'm leaning towards that. I figure if I'm gonna spend this much money anyways on school, it might as well be at a school that my gut is telling me to go to.