Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do these schools want to deny me?  (Read 1314 times)

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
Do these schools want to deny me?
« on: April 08, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »
So I've been getting a ton of fee waivers, some of which have been from schools where my numbers aren't incredily compatible.  Do you suppose the schools just want me to apply so they can't get app. #'s up?  Perhaps they already know I will be denied and are using me so that they can claim to to be more competitive or exlcusive?
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

lawrookie

Re: Do these schools want to deny me?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 12:39:16 AM »
more likely they are hard up and authenticly want more students.

So I've been getting a ton of fee waivers, some of which have been from schools where my numbers aren't incredily compatible.  Do you suppose the schools just want me to apply so they can't get app. #'s up?  Perhaps they already know I will be denied and are using me so that they can claim to to be more competitive or exlcusive?

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:31:12 AM »
Lawrookie doesnt know what he's talking about.  If your numbers seem out of range and you're still getting a fee waiver their intentions are likely something like 90% decrease acceptance ratio / 10% get a look at some interesting students who may not otherwise apply (every once in awhile tremendous softs and fit can prevail over underwhelming numbers).   

lawrookie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:42:14 AM »
I know enough to know that if they make it free to apply(even if a snowballs chance to hell) then apply. What are you out if its free other than an hour of your time and mabey a tissue if you loose? Do it or dont but if its free then why not?

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:01:56 PM »
Well at first I let myself get a little excited over the fact that they thought enough of me to send me a waiver (yes I realize this is a very small thing, but it made me smile).  When it was schools that my numbers are compatible in, I found it believable that they would really want me to apply and eventually attend.  But last week I got a letter from Northwestern praising my score, which I don't even think is in their 25th percentile.  When a school like this offers me a fee waiver I'm very skeptical.  I'm retaking the lsat in june or october though.  I feel like I can do better.  When its time to apply I guess I'll still apply to the free ones.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

lawrookie

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »
Awsome. Heck yeah, if its free why not? Go ahead and try to get better on the lsat for the other schools but you are thinking the right way on the free ones.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »
You should apply if you want to go to the schools, but the reason out of range schools send the apps out is to make them appear more selective to boost their rankings in the valueless U.S. Rankings.

Just seeing that schools engage in something so stupid should help you realize how irrelevant the rankings really are. On top of the fact that the ABA, LSAC, and AALS refuse to acknowledge them.  Don't make your decision on a law school based on U.S's bogus ranking system. Obviously, if you get into Harvard GO, but if you are deciding between 72 and 96 or 100 and 127 it really does not matter.

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:53 AM »
Well at first I let myself get a little excited over the fact that they thought enough of me to send me a waiver (yes I realize this is a very small thing, but it made me smile).  When it was schools that my numbers are compatible in, I found it believable that they would really want me to apply and eventually attend.  But last week I got a letter from Northwestern praising my score, which I don't even think is in their 25th percentile.  When a school like this offers me a fee waiver I'm very skeptical.  I'm retaking the lsat in june or october though.  I feel like I can do better.  When its time to apply I guess I'll still apply to the free ones.

Definitely apply to Northwestern if you got a fee waiver.  I didn't get one from them because I had a middling score.  I paid the fees for my reach schools and although Northwestern was a top choice for me, I chose not to apply there because their app fee was $100.  Others were $75.  If you apply there, you'll only have to pay the $12 LSAC app fee.  Do it.  You're not losing much.