Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JFK University School of Law - Thoughts??  (Read 6681 times)

gemini976

• View Profile
JFK University School of Law - Thoughts??
« on: April 08, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
Does anyone know much about California's JFK University Law School Program?  I'm seriously considering but worried that it's ABA non accredited.  Thoughts? Suggestions please....

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: JFK University School of Law - Thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »
I would be wary of a school with JFK's bar passage rates. For July 2009, (http://calbar.ca.gov/calbar/pdfs/admissions/Statistics/JULY2009STATS.pdf):

Of first-time takers, only 13/44 JFK students passed that bar. That is, 30% passed the bar.
For repeat-takers, only 7/50 passed the bar. That is 14%.

Spending 3-4 years of your life studying law with only a 30% chance of passing the bar doesn't sound that great. And, of course, you aren't assured a job even if you do pass the bar.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
The lack of ABA approval does raise some flags, but the bar is a standardized test and I imagine you will learn the same things at JFK etc.

The bay area is pretty ripe with competition though,  with 7 ABA schools and 3 or 4 CBA schools within about 100 mile radius it might be more difficult to find a job from JFK than an ABA school, but it could certainly happen and it is WAY CHEAPER than any ABA school.

I would imagine CBA schools like Cal Northern in Chico or the San Joaquin Valley College of law might be better for job prospects, the reason for the higher likelihood of job success is nobody really wants to live in those areas. If your sole goal is to be a lawyer those CBA schools might work out better, but who knows.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
JFK isn't perfect, but at least they are regionally accredited. I mention that since if you need student loans to pay bills while in school, that would help, plus it is a "real" degree once regionally accredited. Even though you can't practice in other states, they still see a regionally accredited grad degree when applying for jobs. (teacher,manager,etc)

MKAYE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
I have the same concerns. I attended their open house yesterday and was struck by the low bar pass statistic. The asst. dean addressed it by saying that the full time students who were doing B work have a pass rate of @ 80%. It did make me feel better. I plan to practice in CA so the ABA doesn't mean as much to me, at least now.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
if it suits you go for it.