Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why does everyone think 1L is so hard?  (Read 7141 times)

lawrookie

Why does everyone think 1L is so hard?
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:45:28 AM »
Why does everyone think 1L is so hard? I aced my midterms and all my practice exams for the final, why does everyone make so a huge deal of it?

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why does everyone think 1L is so hard?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:41 AM »
Why does everyone think 1L is so hard? I aced my midterms and all my practice exams for the final, why does everyone make so a huge deal of it?

Julie, would you care to help out here?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »
IMHO, most 1Ls think it's hard because they're somewhat blindly studying and unsure what the finals will be like.  To my knowledge, most 1Ls don't have midterms and their class is based on a single grade, so being unsure about how to study and being worried about class readings/being called on is what makes it hard.  It's mostly about the single grade though I think, so maybe that's why you don't think it's hard.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:32:04 PM »

ok.  listen, forrest, you only one making big deal--about your alleged intellect.  that always mean small weenie.

lawrookie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »
I'm not that smart, so if its easy for me why all the bitching is what I'm trying to ask.
I think that people like to pretend that its hard to create a "war story" to brag to others about how hard it was and how great they are for surviving it. I took a long *&^% the other day but that dosn't make me a hero for wipeing my ass after it. With all the crybabies out there I just assumed there'd be more to it is all. Basicly you show up and you pass. A JD seems to be a participation award.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
It's easy to pass- at most schools very few people fail out.  The stress comes from trying to do well when only the top X% get to do OCI, and a lot of people try to get jobs from OCI, and because a lot of employers not doing OCI are looking for people who are also in X%.  So the "hard" part come from trying to figure out how to be in the top with people who are generally just as smart and motivated as you.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:37:52 PM »
Did you have your real final yet? You said your aced your midterms and your practice finals, so I didn't understand if you had your finals, since it's Spring you had to have your first finals back unless you went to a school that starts in January.

If you have not taken your finals don't get to cocky, a lot of people who did really well on the midterms at my school did not do so hot on the finals and people who did poorly on the midterms aced the finals. So if you have not actually taken the REAL FINALS yet don't get to cocky, if you did good that's awesome. Do remember you have 5 more semesters and doing good once is no guarantee of future success. I did really well the first semester, but that can easily change this time around.  A few points can make teh difference between an A or a B, which has a massive impact on your rank.

You are right law school is not that hard, if you are smart enough to get into a law school and put in the work you should be able to pass, but like a lot of people said the real test is doing well and ranking highly because that makes a huge difference in your potential employment. If you are in the top 10% you have shown a talent for the law and if you are the bottom 10% you have not really shown a talent for the law.

Law school is hard, but your right it is not quite as hard as people make it out to be.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »

ok.  listen, forrest, you only one making big deal--about your alleged intellect.  that always mean small weenie.

How do you wind up with 26498 posts  :o on a forum that's deader than Micheal Jackson?

lawrookie

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »
The "real" final is next week. I took the midterms(20% of grade) and the "real" ones from past semesters with answer keys to grade for practice, plus I talk to 2and3L's and to be honest JD makes undergrad suddenly seem like it was hard by contrast. True, if you want to be in the absolute best in the class thats stress, but as long as I get an A I dont care about the rest, and if by some fluke I get a B who really gives a *&^% to be honest? Hell, even the half inbred stoners in the backrows who play videogames all day are basicly a sure shot at graduating too as long as they get a few B-'s to make up for the D-'s in the hard classes.

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:50:49 PM »
So umm what school do you go to?
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~