Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nashville School of Law/UT Law  (Read 1422 times)

hollycpa27

• View Profile
    • Email
Nashville School of Law/UT Law
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
I am trying to decide if anyone thinks Nashville School of Law is a wise investment. I may or may not decide to practice law after school as I have an MBA now. I am interested in attending law school, but have no desire to quit work and finish. I would like to continue working while attending the non-traditional Nashville School of Law. Does anyone have any recommendations for Nashville School of Law or am I wasting my time. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Nashville School of Law/UT Law
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:16:08 PM »
What exactly are you hoping to get out of law school?

It sounds like you don't actually want to be a lawyer. The school seems pretty cheap as far as law school goes, but pretty expensive as far as mere curiosity goes.

I suspect you would be better off to either not go to law school at all, perhaps reading legal books if you're interested in the concepts, or go to a better school if you want to pursue a career in law. (Something ABA-accredited, at barest minimum.)

hollycpa27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »
I may want to practice law after I finish, but I am not 100% decided if I want to practice. I enjoy the work I do now, for that is the main reason I do not want to quit work to go to a traditional law school, such as Vandy or UT law. I would like to keep options open though if I did decide to practice law. I would be interested in tax law. Do you recommend NSL or would you go to a traditional law school. Thanks

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »
Are you 100% you want to stay in TN?  Moreover, if you did decide to pursue law do you see yourself in Biglaw or a smaller firm, gov, etc.?   Finally, what's your UG Gpa / LSAT sitting at?  A full ride at Vandy/UT makes it a very different situation than if you'd be applying on a wing and a prayer.

hollycpa27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
I believe I would like to stay in TN. The only other state I would like to practice would be Alabama. I believe AL accepts to take the bar after 5 years in TN. I would like to practice in a smaller firm in Nashville, Murfreesboro, or Chattanooga. My UG gpa is 3.15 LSAT 155. I would be applying to Vandy and UT on a hope, but like I mentioned before, I would like to become a competent lawyer with the option of practicing or not practicing. I would like to use the law degree for a CEO position. I would like to keep the options open of practicing though. The idea of NSL attracts me, because I have a family and have spent 6+ years in school and have a stable job. A law degree has been mostly a dream, but I would like to pursue it in hopes of moving into a CEO position. Thanks for the info

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
Okay, from the outset, you have to recognize that the combination of those numbers with being a non-traditional applicant your chances at Vandy/UT range of schools are almost literally zero.  Even with URM status it'd be a waste of money to apply.  Given that fact and that your family is located in Nashville, you remain unsure about your desire to practice law, and assumedly want to spend as little money as possible on this proposition, it seems like an evening program at NSL may be a reasonable avenue towards boosting your resume in certain cirles and opening some possibility of future legal practice in TN.   (ick, ugly sentence) 

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »
I don't think a J.D. will meaningfully boost your chances of becoming a CEO.