Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple (full ride), Notre dame ($$), Minnesota ($$), Carbondale (full ride)?????  (Read 1323 times)

ah!

• View Profile
So I got a lot of good scholarships from different schools, and I thought for sure that I'd take the full ride from Temple, but, I visited this weekend and did not like it AT ALL!!  I can't even begin to imagine giving up a full ride at a good school, but there was nothing I liked about it, and I'm not sure I want to practice in Philly anyway.  I would LOVE to go to notre dame or minnesota, but they only gave me about half tuition....great but still lots of debt. 

Which degree would be better for job placement in the long run anyway?????

Thanks!!!

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
job placement where?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

ah!

• View Profile
Well I really didn't have a geographical area of preference to begin with, although I'm starting to think midwest would be what I really want.  As for areas of law, I am not sure which I would like to specialize in, although I have to real interest in biglaw.  Probably. 

3ebfan511

• View Profile
    • Email
yea I am from NJ and I didnt even apply to temple or most of the philly schools, because they are too hard for me to get into, and I already lived in philly for undergrad so I am leaning on california right now...as for temple if you got a free ride there I would recomend you take it, although I dont know anything about those other schools.  In the 2010 superlawyers list just out temple was 28th.  ahead of villanova (31) and almost every other school.  There are tons of colleges/college kids in philly so theres alot to do.  you will be studying alot anyway in law school so I recomend it as academically it is top-notch.  you can easily live in a number of nice areas in the PA or NJ suburbs as the area right around the campus is obviously not the greatest.  (I went to a near-bye school for undergrad, but the education was worth it to me)

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Basically, if you want to live in Philly after you graduate, go to Temple.  If you want to live in Minnesota after you graduate, go to Minnesota.  I think Notre Dame's biggest placement is in Chicago.  I wouldn't go to SIU with your other options.  Other than that, they are extremely good regional schools, it's more about choosing what region you want to practice in.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

3ebfan511

• View Profile
    • Email
yea but I think Temple is the higest rated of them all, and they have a full scholarship there, so thats what I would recomend, unless of course they really want to practice in a certain city, but Philly is the 4th biggest legal market in the country so its a good place to practice.  If I had a full ride at Temple, I would go to Temple.  I am from the philly suburbs in NJ so I know how highly regarded Temple is, and I am seeing it rise in national rankings too.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think you can clearly narrow it down to UM and ND. I think ND is the better school, but you cant go wrong with either of them. Have you visited both? That'd be the best place to start. But, all things considered I would choose ND, the strength and commitment of the alums makes all the difference I would need.   

3ebfan511

• View Profile
    • Email
yea I see ND rated like #23, so for half tuition if you really like it there, then I would say go there, but dont let the niegborhood around temple make you go somewhere else, I went to lasalle like 5 mins noth of there, a kindof bad nieghborhood but the school itself is very good.  Within a 15 minute drive you can be in nice parts of the city, the suburbs,  or to NJ, some of which is very nice, like my home town of Chery Hill , which is like the 8th safest town in the country.  Or you could also be in Camden, NJ, the most dangerous city in the country.  If you have any Q's about philly let me know, I would say if you plan to live where ND alums work then go there,  thats probably worth the half tuition loss,  I am curious what you hated about Temple, if it was just the niergborhood, or something about the school itself.  because the school itself is vey good academically, and anyone with a full ride there that I know would take it.  My friend who got a 160 is trying to get in there or villanova... with no scholarship, hes from Cherry Hill too, a very nice area.