Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How screwed am I here? Any advice to save myself?  (Read 736 times)

mzing12

• View Profile
How screwed am I here? Any advice to save myself?
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
Hello,

I'm a 2L and I feel like I've botched my legal education. What advice does anyone have to save my legal career, if that's even possible in this economy? I wanted to do public interest work, but I had to take out an insane amount of loans so I'm under that weight. Is dropping out the best option here, or is it still possible to get a job?

Any general advice/experience here? Help!!

Facts:

My grades are straight Bs, except a B+ in Contracts, and an A in some random administrative law/gov't policy class.

I go to a grade-obsessed school, so my poor grades have disqualified me from journals and clinics, so I have none of those. :{ I represent clients in administrative hearings, though, for an independent clinic so I have experience doing that.

I also did a summer internship with the state AG's office, and have an offer for the state Public Defender's office this summer. Not very prestigious, but it's hands-on work.

Am I screwed? Is this really that bad?

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How screwed am I here? Any advice to save myself?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
Hello,

I'm a 2L and I feel like I've botched my legal education. What advice does anyone have to save my legal career, if that's even possible in this economy? I wanted to do public interest work, but I had to take out an insane amount of loans so I'm under that weight. Is dropping out the best option here, or is it still possible to get a job?

Any general advice/experience here? Help!!

Facts:

My grades are straight Bs, except a B+ in Contracts, and an A in some random administrative law/gov't policy class.

I go to a grade-obsessed school, so my poor grades have disqualified me from journals and clinics, so I have none of those. :{ I represent clients in administrative hearings, though, for an independent clinic so I have experience doing that.

I also did a summer internship with the state AG's office, and have an offer for the state Public Defender's office this summer. Not very prestigious, but it's hands-on work.

Am I screwed? Is this really that bad?

Your dilemma is unfortunately not unusual, and, yes, it is quite difficult, now especially.  But all is not lost. 

And, yes, it is possible to do well in public-interest work.  (As a rule, the public-interest attorneys I've known tend to be among the most satisfied with their choice.)

A few questions:  What type of public interest work, specifically, would you like to practice?  Have you talked with your supervisors and professors in your internships?  What have been their responses?  How wild do you want to go, career-wise?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How screwed am I here? Any advice to save myself?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »
Yes you are absolutely screwed. Every single person in law school has a 1,000,000 a year job lined up the first day they enter law school and you are the only law student out there that doesn't. Honestly, it doesn't sound like your doing that bad. I am sure there are people doing better and people doing a lot worse.  At least you have some experience, your grades are decent, and you have a job offer. The Public Defender might not be the most glamorous position in the world, but you have to start somewhere.