Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Schools- 155LSAT/3.42GPA  (Read 1026 times)

mjvillarreal

• View Profile
    • Email
Texas Schools- 155LSAT/3.42GPA
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
I will be graduating this December and will be applying to schools in the coming cycle. I plan on applying to: Baylor (Spring), STCL (Spring), UH, and St. Mary's. What do you think my chances are at the schools without retaking the LSAT? Any advice will help.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Schools- 155LSAT/3.42GPA
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:43:24 AM »
Texas Tech is the answer for you.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

mjvillarreal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
Really? I really don't want to end up stuck in the Texas panhandle. I want to eventually make it back to my hometown, San Antonio.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »
Have you taken the LSAT twice? How much did you study?

A couple more points would get you into UH, which I think is solidly the best deal in Texas if you can't do UT.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

mjvillarreal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
I have only taken the LSAT once, but I took it cold, like a dumb ass, without any studying. I am really trying to avoid sitting through the test more than once though.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
I have only taken the LSAT once, but I took it cold, like a dumb ass, without any studying. I am really trying to avoid sitting through the test more than once though.

That's a huge red flag. The amount of extra work and headache caused by going to a lesser ranked school greatly eclipses the amount of work and headache caused by sitting for one 4 hour test. Even disregarding school rank, a few extra points on the LSAT could save you tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars due to scholarship. Retake the LSAT, study this time (at least 100 hours). You will be glad you did.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »
You could still get back to SA with a Texas Tech degree, and your numbers scream Tech.

Yeah, if you took the LSAT cold, you really should retake it. Given how much a few points can effect the quality of the school you end up at, which is very determinative of how your early legal career will play out, the LSAT is probably the most important test you'll take in your legal career, excluding (but maybe even including) the bar. And, as Nealric said, a few more points could be worth some fat stacks of cash. Ruin your life now for another 2 months, study hard, retake the LSAT, and profit for the rest of your life. There's no reason a cold 155 can't be a warm 160-165.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »
Given the indicated numbers, this is how I see it.

Baylor - out
STCL - in
UH - out
St. Mary's - in

I agree that you should prep and retake the lsat. Getting at least a 160 or so would better your chances at baylor and UH, and you might be able to get a scholarship from baylor such that you can realistically consider both. Of course, if you can get into tech with those numbers, which is by no means a given, then that is a better (so says conventional wisdom) and more cost-effective path towards practicing in Texas. You say you won't apply until the next cycle:sounds like you have plenty of time to prepare. Who knows? You might do yourself some real good.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:59 PM »

Taking it cold was a big mistake.

Not retaking the LSAT would be a huge mistake. This is especially true since you would only delay admission to law school by half a year, since your plan involves spring starts.

Law school is much harder, and much longer than one silly multiple-choice test. If you can take a course on the LSAT and raise your score 5-10 points (very doable), you will be able to go to a school that will offer you a much better legal career, and possibly get a scholarship to do it, too.

mjvillarreal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »
Yeah I guess I will retake the LSAT and try to get my score up. I really am trying to avoid TTU at all costs.