Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please, please, please. The answer to this forum's heading is: NOWHERE.  (Read 1738 times)

swester

• View Profile
Please, for the sake of your financial future and your personal happiness and self-worth, do NOT go to law school.

I honestly cannot believe some of the low-ranked crap schools that people are even considering going to on this board.  You've got to be kidding me.  Unless it's a FREE ride, you are flushing your dollars DOWN THE TOILET.

Please, don't even take my word for it.  Ask anyone who has made it through school and into the nightmare that exists on the OTHER side.

Don't listen to what your parents have suggested; they honestly don't know any better.  Even if they are lawyers themselves, THIS ISNT THE SAME LAW CAREER they have lived through.

Sigh, maybe at least one person here will understand this and change course before it is too late.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
LOL. Some people actually want to be lawyers, and not just for the paycheck or dreams of sports cars.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are you serious? I go to a tier 4 and know plenty of people doing well for themselves, someone even agreed to pay me pretty well this summer. I don't know if you are even in law school or not, but either way what you are saying is B.S.

It is hard to find a job out of law school and life is hard no matter what you do. Law school is no guarantee it is a competitive world and that is the case no matter what you do. Yes there are other law students that are actually competing for jobs, if that shocks you then I don't what to say.

You know the only reason I didn't make it to the NBA from college is because other people were guarding me. It was like real competition, crazy right? Had they just let me score 40 points a game and not defended me I could be cashing 1,000,000 checks, but it was unbelievable they actually defended against me I told the other teams coach I didn't like it, but he didn't care.

Since I didn't make it to the NBA, because of those jerks guarding me  I graduated from college and  had to go find a job and other people submitted their resumes for these jobs. They even got interviewed and I actually had to compete against them and explain, why they should pay me instead of a guy with the same credentials, experience, etc. It was so crazy I didn't just get to go on craigslist and click on 1,000,000 a day dream job and have it automatically handed to me.  I did find a job after undergrad and ended up getting a couple cool ones. It was wild though nobody handed me anything, I actually had to go earn it. Some unfair things even happened along the way.

That is the case no matter you do in life. If you go to medical school you have to pass the exams, find a job competing against other people etc, same thing if you get an MBA, B.A., B.S. G.E.D. whatever it may be, Life is f'ing hard get used to it. I really think law school is full of some of the most naive people in the world and that is why there are so many disappointed students. Your law school does not owe you a job, they don't owe you good grades, they can't even guarantee you will pass the bar, all that is contingent on you. If you don't put the work in it is not going to work out and even if you put the work in it might not work out. That is because anything worth doing is hard and people will compete against you. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees,in life  but if you live your whole life scared making excuses your not going to get very far.  

My college b-ball coach said it best, "excuses are like a-holes everybody has one and they are all full of sh*t." It is constant on this website everybody has an excuse and just whines and complain about how unfair it is and blame their school for life being hard, which is just ridiculous.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Please, for the sake of your financial future and your personal happiness and self-worth, do NOT go to law school.

I honestly cannot believe some of the low-ranked crap schools that people are even considering going to on this board.  You've got to be kidding me.  Unless it's a FREE ride, you are flushing your dollars DOWN THE TOILET.

Please, don't even take my word for it.  Ask anyone who has made it through school and into the nightmare that exists on the OTHER side.

Don't listen to what your parents have suggested; they honestly don't know any better.  Even if they are lawyers themselves, THIS ISNT THE SAME LAW CAREER they have lived through.

Sigh, maybe at least one person here will understand this and change course before it is too late.

Qualifications?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

swester

• View Profile
I get a real kick out of the 1Ls and 2Ls on here who think they have any clue whatsoever as to the state of the legal job market. Sigh. This isn't your moot court competition; you don't have to impress anyone with your clever argumentative skills. Reality is reality.

Some helpful guidelines:

1. Don't try to assume you understand the market because your uncle's friend's college buddy graduated in 198x or 199x and is now making $300,000 a year. A girl from my high school plays on the LPGA tour; it doesn't mean it's wise to start taking golf lessons.

2. Don't accept anything that you read in a glossy law school brochure or in the emails you get from Career Resources. Their interest is two-fold: boosting applicants and minimizing attrition rates. They don't care whether or not you make $30k or $70k or $0k when you graduate.

3. $150k+interest is a LOT of debt. Even on $100k (which, unless you are have very good friends in high places, you will under no circumstances see on your payslip in years 1, 2, or 3 post-grad). And due to this perverse system in which we live, you can walk away from an underwater mortgage but you can't discharge your education loans. Go figure.

4. Don't fight supply and demand. The market is over-saturated with attorneys. Attorneys that have years and years more experience than you have. Attorneys from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and whatever other Top-10 who have been deferred at firms for 1 and 2 years. Attorneys who have been fired in the past 3 years. And as if this weren't troubling enough, demand has simultaneously sunk under the weight of the sagging economy. Firms have no choice but to cut back.

This isn't optimistic, and this is not a blanket statement that tries to suggest that you will never be hired. But coasting on sails filled with delusion is no remedy for reality. Oh, and that summer job you got as a 1L or 2L? Nice work. The only person winning there is the firm. They get their grunt work done for 1/4 the cost of an associate. Just don't be surprised when that offer never shows up down the road.

Good luck to all.

Full disclosure: Graduated in 2008, T-14. Worked for 2 years, laid off in February. With a light debt load remaining, thankfully.

cooleylawstudent

just because you can't get laid dosn't mean that I can't.  :-*  (metaphoric of course)

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
So, you get Lathamed, and suddenly everyone going to law school is making a terrible blunder? Right.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So, you get Lathamed, and suddenly everyone going to law school is making a terrible blunder? Right.

I don't think she's necessarily saying that.  Just trying to add a grain of salt.  Nothing wrong with that.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

swester

• View Profile
Correct, I was not saying that everyone going to law school is making a "terrible blunder."  But for most, at least at this moment, it is the blunder of their lives.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Believe it or not there is this thing called a GLOBAL RESCISSION.  So M.D's, J.D's, Masters students whatever are having hard times. GLOBAL recession is the key word. It is not only a law school recession.  The reality is if you really want to be a lawyer then go to law school, but know it might not work out. Same thing if you want to be a doctor go to med school, again it might not work out. If you want to be a teacher get a teaching credential, again it might not work out. The list goes on and since it is a GLOBAL recession teachers are getting laid off, hospitals are cutting back and few graduates are having the red carpet rolled out for them in any industry..
s
You were right about all your other posts, schools want your money. Harvard does not care anymore about it's students than Cooley does.  If you don't pay your tuition your out, they don't really care about you.  Obviously, any school wants you to succeed, they are human beings. However, if a few student's do not make it they will not lose sleep over it. Same logic applies to all undergrad universities, med schools, master's programs and so on. 

Education is a risk and no matter what you study it could turn out to be a massive waste of time and money.  However, if being a lawyer interests you go to law school, but realize getting the J.D. and passing the bar does not make you special, there are about a million or so other people with the same qualification and you will have to compete with them. That applies to all professions if you get a computer science degree millions of other computer scientists will compete for jobs, NBA basketball players compete for a job, accountants compete for jobs, it goes on forever.  That is just capitalism and the strong survive, the whiners whine and that is how it goes.