Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Case v. SUNY Buffalo v. Temple  (Read 1233 times)

snowpeach06

• AOL Instant Messenger - angelcat06
    • View Profile
Case v. SUNY Buffalo v. Temple
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »
I have an impossible time making decisions. Nor do I know what I want half the time. So, these are the things I want for sure. 1. I want to work in NY or DC after graduation. Not big law or corporate. At the moment I'm leaning towards just working for the government or something 2. I don't want to do all work and have no play. I want to go to restaurants, bars, concerts, go shopping and have fellow law students willing to do it with me, and not sit there freaking out about how much they want to rank higher than that kid sitting next to them.

Aside from that, I suppose I wouldn't mind being closer to home (Temple), wouldn't mind cheap (UB), wouldn't mind having built in friends (Case). There are a bunch of other little things that I could factor in as well, but I think the above few things are my main concerns. Maybe study abroad potential, not dying (all these schools are in kind of bad neighborhoods), overall quality of life/teachers/students/ect too. For those wondering about price, Buffalo would cost me 11k a year, Case 25k (if I keep my scholarship) and Temple 30 (but, 20k after the first year if I could establish residency).

I also think I would like American or Brooklyn a lot, but I am waitlisted. And both would be absurdly expensive, so I think I ruled them out. But, if there would be some big advantage to going there, then I can consider taking on the debt, and attempting to get off the waitlist.

Since I know little about most of these schools, any input is helpful.

swester

• View Profile
Re: Case v. SUNY Buffalo v. Temple
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
Answer: If you absolutely have to go to law school (which I highly highly do NOT suggest), then at least go where it is cheapest.  End of discussion, based on the schools you have to choose from.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:13:29 AM »
Temple.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

snowpeach06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:18:26 PM »
Temple.
Reason? Wouldn't I have a hard time getting out of the philly market?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
Temple.

Explain yous reasoning for this question, given the location of the other two law schools you mentioned.

snowpeach06

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:19:07 PM »
Temple.

Explain yous reasoning for this question, given the location of the other two law schools you mentioned.
Physical location means little. Case actually has decent stats for getting people into NY and DC. 85% of Temple kids stay in Philly. UB sucks for getting a job anywhere, but its cheap. I don't know, everyone assumes that since Case is in Ohio it can't get people jobs. But, it can. Just Cleveland sucks while you are there.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
Temple.

I'd rather live in Philadelphia than Buffalo or Cleveland.

You will probably have to do some work to escape Philly, but I bet it's less than you'll have to do to escape Buffalo or Cleveland.

Also, consider the long term viability of the cities. Philly will probably always be there, but the Bills will have to move one day, signaling the official death of the city of Buffalo, and Cleveland (the city) is going to disband as soon as LeBron jumps ship into an ocean of cash somewhere else.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
Completely off topic but I feel the need to respond:  Lebron is not leaving Cleveland.

But I do think you need to look at where you want to be.  Those are regional schools, all with probably the same reach.  If were you though, I would narrow it down between Case and Temple.