;

Poll

Better career earnings - MBA or JD ?

MBA
 5 (31.3%)
JD
 11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: POLL - Better career earnings - MBA or JD ?  (Read 7429 times)

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: POLL - Better career earnings - MBA or JD ?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 06:39:57 AM »
you seem to. Just because your balls are old and saggy dosn't make you smart. Still dancing around the JD/MBA part I see though. I took your invitation to go first, why not you?

I can read just fine. I also notice how to get a responce I have to pretend to logout, says a lot about a persons personality. Are you an MBA, or a JD? You ask me to first, JD. Et tu?

Right kiddo.  And we really believe anyone over the age of 22 gives a poo or notices if someone is "logged in" or "logged out".

First of all, you don't have a JD.  You said you are about to start Cooley. 
Secondly I sincerely hope a Cooley JD will let you even practice law
Third, You better hope in the future there is a fallback in the business world for the Cooley piece of paper.

Good Luck

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
I'm not "about to start" anything. I've been there over a term now. Plus, when people say "first of all" they normally have a second thing, such as if you have ever been to lawschool or just the mba that you seem to have idol worship for.
Now that you've danced around the globe and back, care to answer that one simple question?

Glenny

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 06:53:26 AM »
Not sure what you wanted me to learn from that link, you keep avoiding the simple question(and you avoid it for a reason)

Name ONE job, just ONE that you can get with a MBA that you can't get with a JD.

MBA Rotational.  Now what?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
That's not a job, its help finding a job. Why not just post a link to Manpower while you're at it? ::)
All career fields can offer internships, what the hell does that prove?

Not sure what you wanted me to learn from that link, you keep avoiding the simple question(and you avoid it for a reason)

Name ONE job, just ONE that you can get with a MBA that you can't get with a JD.

MBA Rotational.  Now what?

Glenny

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
That's not a job, its help finding a job. Why not just post a link to Manpower while you're at it? ::)
All career fields can offer internships, what the hell does that prove?

MBA Rotational.  Now what?

You do work, they pay you.  That's a job my friend.  Moreover, the job you take after the rotational ends usually has the rotational as prerequisite.  It doesn't get any more "job" than that.  Increasingly, you'll see jobs that were once "MBA preferred" are now "MBA required" because the last two years have been an employers market.

All that said, I get your point.  A lawyer can conceivably work as a marketing manager, but it doesn't work in reverse.  Along those same lines and orthopedic surgeon could conceivable become a rapper.

In reality, what "could conceivably happen" in terms of ones career is becoming increasingly rare.  No self-respecting HR Manager is going to hire someone trained to "think like a lawyer" when there is either someone trained to think like a whatever, or someone who is a blank slate.  Anecdotally, my company ($13b, 40k employees) has a strict no JDs hiring policy for any role outside the legal department.  That's how this thread caught my eye.  Don't plan your life around the conceivable upside, plan around the expected downside.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:26 PM »
ok....wow....let me keep this simple for you. Lawstudents get the same thing, paid internships that COULD turn into long term pay, that REQUIRE to be in lawschool or a lawyer(not just an MBA) so that just evens itself out. It's not an advantage. Why'd you pick that as your best example of a job that an MBA can do that an JD can't?

CooleyGrad

• ain't no sleep when you're living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
I agree with the majority of the replies on this thread -- it is more about what you do with your degree rather than which one you have. In this economy though -- it has to be somewhat of a toss-up.

Glenny

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
First, it seems like you are more interested in winning a silly-ass argument than learning anything.  I basically conceded to you underlying assumption saything that, in theory, you are correct.  You've won!  But that's not really important.  Whoever gave you the impression that your JD was highly versitile probably hasn't spent the last couple of years as a non-law hiring manager recieving resumes from JDs with no applicable skillset.  As someone who has, I'm saying don't bank on it.

Second you actually complicated your argument there.  You originally asked for "ONE, just ONE example," which I gave you.  In this last post you reject the example beacuse of it "evening-out" on some still undisclosed factor.

Third, an MBA Rotational is not an internship.  You have to have completed the degree to be recruited.  I don't mind condescension, so long as the person actually knows what they are talking about.

If you are in law school now, prepare yourself for a career... as a lawyer.  If you are a lawyer and want to explore the inherent "versatility" of your degree, don't bother.  Instead and get some actual transferable credentials like taking an actuarial exam or something.  If you are JD working in non-law, Congrats, you are an exceptional person, and my advice, targeted at the average person does not apply to you.  But know that most people are average, not exceptional.  Don't misguide them.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
Yes, FINALLY the reconition that I deserve for my years of loyal service in the fast food industry.....suck on that Harvard!  >:(

If you are JD working in non-law, Congrats, you are an exceptional person, and my advice, targeted at the average person does not apply to you.  But know that most people are average, not exceptional.  Don't misguide them.

Glenny

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
Yes, FINALLY the reconition that I deserve for my years of loyal service in the fast food industry.....suck on that Harvard!  >:(

If you are JD working in non-law, Congrats, you are an exceptional person, and my advice, targeted at the average person does not apply to you.  But know that most people are average, not exceptional.  Don't misguide them.

Well played.