Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?  (Read 71078 times)

pslaw2011

• View Profile
Re: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »
Just because idiots exist within the field of law, does not mean this is the level that one should aspire to.

Seriously! Professionalism has little to do with your lsat score; its a skill anyone can gain.

perception7136

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »
biggs5068 is absolutely correct.

In fact you don't even have to have gone to law school to receive a judgement in your favor in a court of law.  Armed with this fact, the argument over where you graduated from law school is over.  In a lawsuit against their landlord decades ago, my late friend and his girlfriend represented themselves.   They were suing for a full refund of their deposit. The landlords attorney argued they did not deserve a refund due to the damages they made to their low-rent apartment mainly a cavernous hole in the plaster wall. He had submitted several photographs as evidence. My friend and his girlfriend submitted as evidence a photograph in court showing the two of them clowning in front of this exact hole in the wall.  The judge studied their photo briefly and rendered his verdict in their favor.  The defendant pays all court costs.     

You see, the photo my friend and his girlfriend produced was developed at McJon's Photofinishing in Fort Wayne Indiana.  McJon dates and timestamps all of the photos they develop.   The date on the photo my friends produced was just over a week before they signed the lease.  Substance was all that mattered in the judgement.  The landlords attorney could have requested all the motions and fancy moves he wished (and he did and they were denied) but in the end the judge simply saw substance.  My friend and his girlfriend had proved they deserved their deposit returned to them.

My friend and his girlfriend were high school graduates.  I don't know where the attorney went to law school.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
I get what you are trying to say, but do you need to take such a long and irrelevant route?  I have seen many people represent themselves in court, civil and criminal, and ALL of instances have been a disaster to the self represented.  Not once have I seen it go well for them.  I saw one poor guy loose his apartment because he didn't know when and what to object to, meaning the plaintiff introduced here say.  Had he, he'd probably still be living there.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

justanothersucker

« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »
what's here say? Is it when you ask someone to say it over here instead of over there?  ;D

That would be an example of what a prof would still give points for on an exam though, for those 0L's interested.

Back on point, yeah more knowledge vs full knowledge, who do you think wins? Kind of like expecting someone with anorexia to win a boxing competition. Could the ref feel bad and try to help out with points (like a sympathetic judge might) sure. Will it matter? Not enough.

I get what you are trying to say, but do you need to take such a long and irrelevant route?  I have seen many people represent themselves in court, civil and criminal, and ALL of instances have been a disaster to the self represented.  Not once have I seen it go well for them.  I saw one poor guy loose his apartment because he didn't know when and what to object to, meaning the plaintiff introduced here say.  Had he, he'd probably still be living there.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »
He he, opps, spell check, sorry.  "hearsay"  The case I mentioned, the judge usually did go out of his way to help the unrepresented (even so, they still usually lost).  There he did not, however.  I think there were either politics or some kind of good ol'boy relationship on the side.  The complex that evicted that guy did so often with others, so was connected with the court staff, including the judge.  I wanted to scream object, man, just object- hearsay.  He kept quite because that is what he thought he was supposed to do.  200 bucks for a cheap attorney or a legal aid application could have saved that guy his home.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
200 bucks for a cheap attorney

Something tells me that an attorney who will spend a day in court for $200 wasn't going to be good enough to help him much.

justanothersucker

« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »
Free legal aid will do most of the legwork for free. They are still better than the GED the average american who "knows it all" and "ain't my fault" has.

If you go into combat, is it best to have a gun? Yeah. If your choices are a canopener or your own fists, use the can opener though dude.

goblue83

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:35 AM »
I agree with alot said about Cooley.  I myself just recently finished my JD at Cooley and am not completing my LLM there also.  Before I go any farther I will admit the only reason I went to Cooley is because I received an 85% scholarship.  I would recommend that going to Cooley with a 50% scholarship or better is not that bad.  I will have my JD/LLM and less than 24K in federal loans.  If you are going to move to Michigan and live on loans and graduate with 200k debt to go to Cooley, well, just don't.  It's probably not a wise idea.  Another thing is the students are clearly separated.   Those on scholarship, tend to have LSAT scores atleast of 158 and tend to do much better than those who don't.   Further a ton of kids didn't make it passed 1L year.   Now the pros and cons, teachers are great, facilities are top notched, extra help is everywhere and I thought that was wonderful.  Students for the most part are great people from all different parts of life trying to graduate. 

The negative is well the IDIOTS in the administration who write these stupid rankings of their own.  It is such a joke and pisses me off a ton, don't reinvent the wheel just do your best and hopefully gain positive attraction over time instead of creating these fabricated rankings.   Next Cooley has this absurd honor code that is the biggest joke of all time and completely pathetic.  My time at Cooley was torn as I was accepted to Wayne State and other more prestigious law firms.    At the end of the day if you can get accepted to a top 20 law school go at all cost and take out the loans otherwise go to the cheapest.

Hope this helps.... take the LSAT a bunch get a 155 and get the 50% scholarship bust through cooley in 2 years and you can take the bar with 50-60k loans, that my recommendation if you cant get in anywhere else.  BOTTOM LINE KEEP YOUR DEBT LOW!

Johnathan Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2013, 02:20:53 AM »
Thomas. M. Cooley Law School has instilled in many of its graduates the skills necessary to become a successful. It's difficult to argue to with facts. Here is the link to SuperLawyers who have graduated from Thomas M. Cooley Law School: http://www.superlawyers.com/lawschool/The-Thomas-M-Cooley-Law-School/fad6dc18-84c4-102c-aca4-000e0c6dcf76.html

In addition, Thomas M. Cooley Law School is one of the larger law schools in the U.S. meaning that it a graduate of the school has a larger network of alumni to refer work to and from.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
I have never set foot on the Cooley campus, but I imagine it is a lot like every other law school and has some great profs and admins and some idiots. Same as any law firm, government agency, etc.

I don't think Cooley is going to wow employers or result in instantaneous job offers, but if you graduate from there and pass the bar your a licensed attorney. What you do with your law license has a lot more to do with you than the name of the school on your diploma.

I do agree publishing their own rankings is a little ridiculous and makes them the target of many bloggers who have likely never set foot in a law school classroom. I personally think any magazine ranking a law school is a Joke U.S. News included and Cooley spending their time on their own publication, which ranks them highly seems odd.

With that said your first year at Cooley, Wayne State, or any of the other 200 ABA law schools you will take these courses Torts, Contracts, Property, Civil Procedure, and Criminal Law. In these courses you will read Supreme Court cases and believe it or not the Supremes don't' write separate opinions for each law school.  The law is the law simply put.

There are some solid points about scholarships and if you can get a large scholarship at Cooley you may be a lot better off than paying full price at Michigan or Wayne State.

Bottom line is I am sure Cooley will teach you the law. Do not expect anything to be handed to you from there, but if you pass the bar and hustle you can have a successful career as an attorney.