Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?  (Read 72792 times)

trudawg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2010, 02:54:52 AM »
Debt, schmebt!

How profoundly irresponsible.

LoL, I'm glad you found something out of all that.

Again, good luck to you all.
-Trudawg

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Found this article and I think it probably gives credit to both sides of the argument. That does not mean I am advocating Cooley

Each year hopeful college students send thousands of applications nationwide, trying to gain acceptance at top-tier law school. The assumption is that by going to a top law school and doing well, one's career in law is more or less set for success. But does graduating from a top law school really guarantee more success in one's career, or can one attend a lower-ranked school and do just as well, if not better?

Read the rest here

http://www.lawcrossing.com/article/693/Does-Law-School-Rank-Determine-Success-/

trudawg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2010, 04:56:31 AM »
The reputation of a school does indeed matter. It is not, however, the only factor in the equation to success. A great school and good grades can garner more opportunities, but talent and drive make the difference between a good and a top-notch lawyer.

Great article!!!

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
You will never step foot on the grounds of a Big Law firm by going to Cooley. That is all that needs to be said. Cooley is clown college for lawyers.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2010, 08:08:01 AM »
Most people don't want to work in Big Law. Some do, but not everybody. You actually did say one thing that had a correct statment in it if you go to Cooley you probably won't work in Big Law. No matter what law school you go to the odds of Big Law are low.  However, the majority of legal jobs are not Big Law and Cooley Grads I am sure do in fine in non big-law situations. Again take the LSAT and step foot in a law school clasroom or at least hold a job for a day that pays you something.

The bolded is incorrect.  However, that doesn't change the larger point that Biglaw is not the only goal a person can have in mind when going to law school.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
Most people don't want to work in Big Law. Some do, but not everybody. You actually did say one thing that had a correct statment in it if you go to Cooley you probably won't work in Big Law. No matter what law school you go to the odds of Big Law are low.  However, the majority of legal jobs are not Big Law and Cooley Grads I am sure do in fine in non big-law situations. Again take the LSAT and step foot in a law school clasroom or at least hold a job for a day that pays you something.

You are all about getting paid from someone else. That is what separates you from me. I can make my own money and have more wealth and income than anyone holding down a meager job. In fact, I don't really need to work for someone if I don't want to. I am my own person and I know who I am. I am not a reflection or moniker of a company (what you are), I am a reflection of myself. You only notice yourself represented by the job you work in. A corporation defines who YOU are as a person, not the other way around. Not for me as I really can work for myself and make money for myself. Yes, I have never held a job, but have I made money on my own? Yes, I have made money. I make a lot more money than a person working at any retail establishment off of dividends alone.

You must know yourself in order to do anything and by your posts, it would seem you don't know anything about yourself so you go through various facets letting them define who you are as an individual. Sorry, but I am not going to live my life being mirrored and categorized by people/corporations. That is what separates the master (boss) from the servant (employee). I will have a career in the future and hold a position in a firm one day, but no way in hell will I be treated like some pawn in a chess game.

trudawg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »
I certainly understand and  even commend the entrepreneurial spirit of the poster above ^^ but coming from someone who has worked his entire life starting w/ a paper route when I was 10 to an IT supervisor at 30, honestly I would never want to work for someone who's never had a job.
That being said, I don't think the aforementioned party was referring to ones job as the main indicating factor of ones worth, and neither am I, I think said poster was referring to ones level of wisdom obtained by such job(s) or lack there of.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
From the internship I did last summer, the people I interned for not only said I was a great intern and much better than the last ones they had, but also paid me when they didn't have to. From that very internship, I know if I had a desk job as a broker (financial advisor) I would excel at it. It is not a form of wisdom due to years of being employed but rather a form, "are you competent enough to complete the tasks at hand?" IF you aren't then you are just incompetent at the job and need a position that does not strain the little abilities you have.

If I were you, I would rather work with someone who has never held a job but was competent at his first job and completed his work effectively, than someone who has worked for years and was a bit incompetent and you could do his work for him and better. That is why I would rather work for myself selling commodities, stocks, etc..., because I am actually good at that. It is autonomous work but requires a lot of smarts to actually make money from starting positions. It also requires some level of prediction based on simulated outcomes.

Anyway, getting a job is different from, "are you actually better than me at your own job?" I could manage other peoples money and make them money 2-fold in 3 years off of their initial big investments, which I was apart of a group project for the brokers I was interning for and I came up with some pretty effective strategies based off of the markets. I am more independent in my work rather than group oriented because not many people are on my level when it comes to trading and making investments. That is the market section. The law section will require some form of learning how to deal with people I deem inferior. That is 3.5 years away before I actually become a full fledged attorney, so I have time to learn the basics.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
I need degrees, that is why. People do not understand that a piece of paper doesn't show how much knowledge you have on a subject, but they want it as verification anyway. I get that, so I will abide by the customs of society because the breakdown comes when those who cannot assimilate to the dominant culture or abide by the rules believe they don't have to. I know people who are foreign, poor, or new to the culture must become apart of it and that requires them to uphold the same customs and traditions. The American dream they want mainly due to that being shoved in their face from one end to another. I am not out for the "American dream" which is what separates me from other people, especially in my peer group. I love talking with them because a flesh full of great ideology spews out and you'd think it was just a faucet of knowledge being streamed through a pipe seamlessly.

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2010, 11:38:26 PM »
wasnt your fag ass supposed to be in the marines or somthing, what they kick you out for being weak, gay, and dumb?(mostly gay)?

I need degrees, that is why. People do not understand that a piece of paper doesn't show how much knowledge you have on a subject, but they want it as verification anyway. I get that, so I will abide by the customs of society because the breakdown comes when those who cannot assimilate to the dominant culture or abide by the rules believe they don't have to. I know people who are foreign, poor, or new to the culture must become apart of it and that requires them to uphold the same customs and traditions. The American dream they want mainly due to that being shoved in their face from one end to another. I am not out for the "American dream" which is what separates me from other people, especially in my peer group. I love talking with them because a flesh full of great ideology spews out and you'd think it was just a faucet of knowledge being streamed through a pipe seamlessly.