Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?  (Read 72129 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
I dont much care what you want lady. Deal with it.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 09:10:22 AM »

Well then you could have just said no in the first place.  :P
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 10:10:37 AM »
know :P

Well then you could have just said no in the first place.  :P

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »
numbnuts.

JDGuy86

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 11:27:35 PM »
I see a lot of people doing cost analysis about going to Cooley Law. For me its about more than just making a large salary. Does anyone actually want to practice law? Advocate a cause? Provide solid legal advice to a client in the community you grew up in? ..These are things non corporate lawyers do. I am going to Cooley Law in  a few months (on scholarship, but really its pretty cheap anyways compared to other private law schools).
I mean really.. put cooley up to other 4th tier schools and its not that bad. I'd say its just as good as any other lower tiered school. And of the private lower tiered ones its probably in the top of the lower tiered ones.
True.. law school is expensive, you will have to work and network to be a successful lawyer, and I'd really advise throwing some passion into your career more than a numbers game. If its about numbers, YES you should get an MBA.

To answer the question.. Is Cooley Law that bad? I don't think so.. I'm going there! Its just as "bad" as any other lower tiered school. Good luck to whoever started the post!

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »
To answer your question directly, it depends on what you want.

If you're not adverse to taking on $150,000 in debt for the prospect of no legal job, or a salary of $40,000 or less after graduation, go to Cooley .
If you're looking to impress laypersons, go to Cooley.
If you MUST be a lawyer and are willing to live in poverty for the remainder of your life, go to Cooley.

There you have it.  You'll be $150,000 in debt, living in poverty, but at least you can tell your friends that you're "a real lawyer" (assuming you pass the bar).  You will also be able to masturbate to the fact that you do "intellectually stimulating" will drafting, personal injury work, and felon in possession cases.  Last but not least, you will undoubtedly feel superior to your peers and bask in warmth of the Cooley Rankings.  After all,  it is YOUR LAW SCHOOL, Mr. Cooley Grad, THAT IS RANKED #12 IN THE WORLD (in a ranking system based almost exclusively on the size of the school's library).

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
Outing people is not cool.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
many, if not all of the top 6 schools, have been known as Ivies prior to the formation of the rankings.

Sorry to quibble, but the "Ivy League" is a sports conference, not a listing of elite schools. Three of the top 6 (Stanford, Chicago, and NYU) are not, and have never been Ivy league schools.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
* Post edited above.*

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
Nevertheless, schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Penn, Columbia, and NYU are thought of as "Ivies" by the general public.

I'm pretty sure that this is not true, because the general public probably has no clue that Chicago and NYU are good law schools.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)