Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?  (Read 70928 times)

cvtheis

Re: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
*sigh*
DA/Public Defender = "lawyer"
Judge - first be a practicing "lawyer" (generally)
"working at the state bar" - Seriously?  doing what? Thats worth $150K in school debt?
"working at a law school" - as a prfessor?  Generally practice as "lawyers" first.  Cleaning toilets - OK our T3 degrees might get us that.
"litigate a K case" = "lawyer"

So again - where are these non-lawyer careers for JDs that you cannot get without one?  Why is bombing the bar no big deal?

Yes a non-legal profession is better served by an MBA. An MBA will be much more useful in business and a law degree will be useful for a legal career. A M.D. or R.N. will be useful in the medical field.

Here is a list of jobs unobtainable without a J.D.

District Attorney or Public Defender offices tend to prefer a J.D. over an MBA as an MBA would completely useless to either of those departments. So those are two jobs where a J.D. would be better than an MBA.

I am also pretty you can't become a Judge without a J.D.

If you wanted to work for the State Bar again they would prefer a J.D.

working at a law school again J.D. preferred.

If you want to litigate a contract case again J.D. will be a lot more helpful than an MBA.

J.A.G. tends to prefer J.D.'s over MBA's

I could continue writing a long list where a J.D. combined with passing the bar would be better than an MBA. Yes an MBA is cheaper, but it does not certify you to do anything. At least a J.D. combined with passing the bar gives you the option to litigate an MBA does not certify you to do anything.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
already gave some examples. As for an MBA being "more versatile" thats a lie that washout losers who couldn't get into a real degree tell themselves.
An MBA compared to a JD reminds me of a GED compared to a highschool diploma. You do it if you are too lazy or incompetent to do the real thing.

An MBA is MUCH cheaper to get and more versatile.  Still cannot think of a non-legal profession where a JD in-and-of-itself clearly serves one better than an MBA - especially a T3 JD.

anything that you can do with an MBA you do (and be prefered over) with a JD.

THAT is a VERY small category of jobs (personally I am having trouble thinking of any) and probably not even worth considering in the equation unless ones greatest aspiration is to be a paralegal...

even if you dont get a job as a lawyer, even if you bomb the bar and never get licensed. You get can get jobs with a JD that you couldnt without it.

cvtheis

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »
Looked back at your posts on this thread and did not see any examples supporting the versatility of a JD beyond legal careers.

Comparing a JD and MBA is comparing apples and oranges (and wondering why this discussion is germain to anything).  One generally goes to law school to be one thing - a lawyer; one gets an MBA and studies economics and finance for a wide array of business applications.  Each degree is tailored for totally different purposes and saying an MBA is for washout losers is just silly, as is trying to draw parallels between careers for JDs and MBAs.  Yes lawyers often think they can (and should) do everything, but to think the JD curriculum is comparable to the MBA curriculum when it comes to employment outside of law makes no sense.

already gave some examples. As for an MBA being "more versatile" thats a lie that washout losers who couldn't get into a real degree tell themselves.
An MBA compared to a JD reminds me of a GED compared to a highschool diploma. You do it if you are too lazy or incompetent to do the real thing.

cvtheis

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
BTW - how often do you change your name, and why?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
what do you mean, I've ALWAYS had this name!....    >:(     

or pure whogivesafuck, I forget which one.

cvtheis

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »
or the >:} or whatever, then doctorgurkin something-or-other...

what do you mean, I've ALWAYS had this name!....    >:(     

or pure whogivesafuck, I forget which one.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
bigs, did you mean to add anything to his quote? ???

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »
Plus if someone wants a BA in BusAdmin,HR,etc for a managment gig and you show up with a JD.......yeah I think they'll find you qualified.

I think that MBA's are overrated, but I don't think JD's get anywhere near the level of respect you suggest here.  Plus, I asked you to substantiate, not speculate.

BL,  its not that hard man. I've seen junior college and even 4year university profs who had JD/MD,etc who never practiced a day in their life teaching the basic prereq courses relative to their degrees.

This is better in terms of substantiating.  But I need to ask, these folks had JD's and that was a job qualification?  Were there people who had similar job titles/positions who did not have JD's?  Do you know of people who were rejected for these job titles/positions because they did not have JD's?

All questions that we need to have answered before we can say that they got these jobs because they had JD's.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
you ask if a JD would be required, my responce is that an MBA is NEVER required(no license in any way) a highschol dropout can do an MBA job.
If you have some nerd with an MBA or some hot trailor skank who knows how to work it, who do you think gets the job?

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
you ask if a JD would be required, my responce is that an MBA is NEVER required(no license in any way) a highschol dropout can do an MBA job.
If you have some nerd with an MBA or some hot trailor skank who knows how to work it, who do you think gets the job?

We weren't talking about comparisons to MBA's at the time you made the statement that I asked you to substantiate.  You said there are lots of jobs that you can get with a JD that you cannot without a JD.  I want you to explain which ones.  (And it sounds like in the example you just gave, the JD wouldn't make a difference either.)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)