Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?  (Read 67260 times)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Cooley Law School That Bad?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
Largest Lawschool in the nation, largest library and better than most T-1s just view the Rateings section on their page to see for yourself.  ;)   

Largest student body because the school accepts just about anyone. Largest library because of the amount of students it accepts, it generates large sums of money. Better than most T-1s due to them ranking themselves. Lmfao, you Cooley students are just delusional.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
My goal is not to become a partner at a big law firm or a US Attorney...it's simply to become a lawyer and practice law. 

Without saying anything about Cooley (I frankly only know of its existence because of the internet), I will say that even the rather modest goal of becoming a lawyer and practicing law is surprisingly difficult to achieve.  Unfortunately.   :-\
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
There are FEW people who will be succeed despite a Cooley education.  It is not the norm.  Saying the law is what you make of it is an empty statement, holding little value.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "succeed"?  My goal is not to become a partner at a big law firm or a US Attorney...it's simply to become a lawyer and practice law.  I have to keep working full time, so Cooley's location near my job appeals to me, its schedule of 7 days a week classes year round, part time, appeals to me, and also the fact that they gave me a full ride appeals to me.  But are you saying that with a Cooley degree, it's not even possible to earn a living as a regular lawyer (i.e. no one would want to hire me to even write a will or draft a document)?  Thank you for your input. 

I spent my 1L year at Cooley, did well, and I am currently in the process of transferring.  It is very possible to earn a decent living as an attorney with a Cooley degree, especially if you stay in Michigan. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
You show up, you pass. You take one test a year per class(on average) and you score as low as 30% in a lot of them and still pass. How is that hard? ???

My goal is not to become a partner at a big law firm or a US Attorney...it's simply to become a lawyer and practice law. 

Without saying anything about Cooley (I frankly only know of its existence because of the internet), I will say that even the rather modest goal of becoming a lawyer and practicing law is surprisingly difficult to achieve.  Unfortunately.   :-\

daniellat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
Without saying anything about Cooley (I frankly only know of its existence because of the internet), I will say that even the rather modest goal of becoming a lawyer and practicing law is surprisingly difficult to achieve.  Unfortunately.   

Thanks for the encouragement   ;)

I spent my 1L year at Cooley, did well, and I am currently in the process of transferring.  It is very possible to earn a decent living as an attorney with a Cooley degree, especially if you stay in Michigan. 

That's good to know, thanks.  Did you find it easy to transfer your credits to the new institution? 

cmd758

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 12:15:01 AM »
I went to high school with someone who just graduated from Cooley and he met his fiance there. She graduated in 2009 and got a job in the prosecutor's office in New Brunswick, NJ in September. Also, Weidner is another possibility. They have a campus in Harrisburg, PA and in Delaware. Duquesne University in Pittsburgh might let you in. Your GPA is kind of low for them, but I know someone who just got in with a an initial 149 and 152 retake LSAT.

Final possibility off the top of my head- University of Detroit Mercy. They have low stats. Look at the Official Guide on lsat.org. That will give you more of an idea about your chances at certain schools.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
Without saying anything about Cooley (I frankly only know of its existence because of the internet), I will say that even the rather modest goal of becoming a lawyer and practicing law is surprisingly difficult to achieve.  Unfortunately.   

Thanks for the encouragement   ;)

Sorry to be a downer.  I'm just trying to manage people's expectations.  It's rough out here.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 08:54:18 PM »
I am sure it is rough. It is always good to have people that are family in the business because you're a shoe-in at a good firm.

On topic, you will never see me step foot into Cooley law. I do believe it is that bad.

cvtheis

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
If you are going to TMC you should REALLY reconsider going to law school.  I am alumn, its not that bad of a school, but it is superceded by it's reputation and image in the legal community.  It is very difficult to find a legal job and some very bad mojo to put yourself $150K in debt for a law degree that really is not worth that much anymore.  Also, talk to a lot of lawyers, will find that not a lot truly LOVE what they do.  Use your undergrad degree to do something that actually benefits humanity.

daniellat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
I hear what you all are saying about how bad the employment prospects can be.  I'm conflicted, that's for sure.