Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L seeking advice on patent career  (Read 1517 times)

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
2L seeking advice on patent career
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »
Hi everyone

I currently attend a T1 school in the DC area; I am on law review with median grades. I have a B.Sc and an M.Sc in biochemistry and molecular genetics.  I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place right now. Here I explain. I worked very hard in graduate school earning an M.Sc in an area of molecular biology (I suppose not considered to be a hot area of research) where I learned a lot of techniques and new developments, however I cannot convince the patent attorneys to offer me an interview because they keep insisting I don't have a Ph.D (so an M.Sc is less solid); so my career in patent law is pretty much dead at this point.  People are not kidding when they say most patent attorneys in bio have earned at least a Ph.D (if not, they've had at least 10 years of industry experience). That's the rock. The hard place is that since I have a science resume, I cannot convince employers in the other sectors that I have the experience and background for these other areas.  I feel like I am stuck with a worthless science degree as well as a worthless J.D. I want to finish this J.D and go back to a Ph.D (to specialize in a more practical area like organic chemistry that helps in drug development). Can somebody give me some advice on my problem? Is the right option? The only science people I know who are getting job offers or at least making it to the interview stage are the people with an engineering degree and if not, somebody with years of industry experience. Either the hard core science people or 10 years of work experience. I feel like law school was so poorly planned; maybe I should have gotten more experience working or at least earning a Ph.D. Do you guys just advise that I finish law school and go do a Ph.D?  I would appreciate advice.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: 2L seeking advice on patent career
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »

Have you taken the patent bar?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2L seeking advice on patent career
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
Yeah, pointless credentialism sucks, doesn't it.  It's largely because of all the foreign science students flooding into the U.S., getting Ph.D.s in the bio and chem areas, thereby diluting the value of those degrees for everyone.  Why hire a lab tech with a mere bachelor's degree when you can hire a Ph.D. for $35K/yr?  Why hire a patent attorney with anything less?