Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Frustrated with the LSAT & retaking 3RD TIME  (Read 4394 times)

idk22222

• View Profile
Frustrated with the LSAT & retaking 3RD TIME
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
I need some solid advice here. I've taken the LSAT two times already. I recently took the Dec 2009 LSAT and scored a horrendous 142. Needless to say, I was bummed out. Even after months of self-studying and taking a Powerscore full length prep course, I couldn't break 150. I get really fatigued (neck hurts, tension around my shoulder area, headaches) during standardized tests. I even scored horribly on my SAT. I do fine with prepping, but when I actually take a full length, its a whole different ball game. LGs and timing are my main problem areas. Nevertheless, I have a 3.72 GPA from a selective state university and I am a black female.

So now that I have recovered from the 142, I have decided to retake in October 2010 (June is too near for me plus I am still an undergrad and will be graduating in May of this year). Since I don't have money for another prep course or a tutor, I am basically looking for a new studying regiment. I plan on studying the entire Summer and into the Fall. Do you all have any recommendations for me? I've taken loads of pretests from self-studying and the prep course so I think I have exhausted all PTs except Superprep.

Do any of you have suggestions as to how I can break at least a 154. I average 12 correct from attempting 20 questions on LR. Maybe 13 on RC from attempting 3 passages. And 9-11 correct from attempting 2 or 3 games. This is excluding guesses. I know I suck so please be nice. I've heard it before and I'm still not giving up. Any valuable advice? Thank you.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated with the LSAT & retaking 3RD TIME
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »
I'd spend more time studying the answers, both the ones you got wrong and the ones you got right, so at least afterwards you really understand what they were meant to be. Doing tons of prep tests isn't going to do you much good if you're not actually focused on learning from it.

That being said, doing many prep tests is also good, so do both. And best of luck to you.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

Elizabeth999

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:53 AM »
My advice: Take off the pressure...all of it...and take as many FULL LENGTH timed exams as you can.  Figure out which of the sections you are good at and then work to perfect that section. Work on your strengths and build your confidence.  OK.  I had a friend who only had to study for 2 months and he got a 170.  I studied endlessly and did not get anywhere near that score.  The difference: perhaps intelligence..though that remains to be seen....but for sure HE DID FULL LENGTH EXAMS and I did not.  Do them over and over and over again and do not judge your intelligence by a test.  I think the hardest part of this exam for some is the mental BS it puts us through.  Some people, like my friend, make a decision, take a test and succeed.  And others, like me, think about something endlessly, drive myself crazy and succeed after loads of suffering.  But I am determined and it sounds like you are too and YOU WILL SUCCEED if you are honest with yourself and you are willing to work hard and YOU MUST DO FULL LENGTH EXAMS.  Right now your mental state sounds a bit pessimistic, and I understand.  But you can DO IT!!!! Good luck!!!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:12:10 AM »
Full length exams are good to get you used to taking the test and working on your pacing, but you're score indicates that you don't yet understand the test.  You will not come to understand the test if you're always trying to answer practice questions as fast as possible.  Put away the timer, take out a test, and work on it all day, or even for a couple days, however long it takes, going for perfect accuracy. 

Don't worry about exhausting preptests.  Do them over and over.  You're better off doing 10 tests 10 times than doing 50 tests, because when you're repeating tests, you're more likely to notice patterns within the questions.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:26:29 AM »
Full length exams are good to get you used to taking the test and working on your pacing, but you're score indicates that you don't yet understand the test.  You will not come to understand the test if you're always trying to answer practice questions as fast as possible.  Put away the timer, take out a test, and work on it all day, or even for a couple days, however long it takes, going for perfect accuracy.  

Don't worry about exhausting preptests.  Do them over and over.  You're better off doing 10 tests 10 times than doing 50 tests, because when you're repeating tests, you're more likely to notice patterns within the questions.

Absolutely correct.  It's easy to focus on one element (time) before the most important element (accuracy).  Accuracy is more important for several reasons.  Among them, the speed with which one digests the LSAT follows from familiarity with the exam type and patterns.  Speed follows accuracy, not the other way 'round.  Once you begin to recognize those LSAT patterns, you'll notice the speed increasing . . . but it's essential to keep your eyes on the prize:  getting the answers right.

So, EarlCat is on-the-nose, spot-on correct.  Slow down. Sloooowwwww dowwwn.  Be insistently, outrageously precise.  (This is exactly like law practice, by the way.)  Don't move on until you know EXACTLY why the answer is as it is, and why all the other answers are wrong.  Exactly.  This will take time, at first.

Hang in there.  It can be done.  And you can be the one to do it.  (Yes, this applies to all.   = :  )

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
Full length exams are good to get you used to taking the test and working on your pacing, but you're score indicates that you don't yet understand the test.  You will not come to understand the test if you're always trying to answer practice questions as fast as possible.  Put away the timer, take out a test, and work on it all day, or even for a couple days, however long it takes, going for perfect accuracy. 

Don't worry about exhausting preptests.  Do them over and over.  You're better off doing 10 tests 10 times than doing 50 tests, because when you're repeating tests, you're more likely to notice patterns within the questions.

Absolutely correct.  It's easy to focus on one element (time) before the most important element (accuracy).  Accuracy is more important for several reasons.  Among them, the speed with which one digests the LSAT follows from familiarity with the exam type and patterns.  Speed follows accuracy, not the other way 'round.  Once you begin to recognize those LSAT patterns, you'll notice the speed increasing . . . but it's essential to keep your eyes on the prize:  getting the answers right.

So, EarlCat is on-the-nose, spot-on correct.  Slow down. Sloooowwwww dowwwn.  Be insistently, outrageously precise.  (This is exactly like law practice, by the way.)  Don't move on until you know EXACTLY why the answer is as it is, and why all the other answers are wrong.  Exactly.  This will take time, at first.

Hang in there.  It can be done.  And you can be the one to do it.  (Yes, this applies to all.   = :  )

3ebfan511

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »
Well I was in a similair situation in which I wanted to score at least a 154, but I got like a 145, and a 142 with no preparation at all so I finally took some time to take a prep course and I got a 151.   The thing is I had a medical issue which contributed to my low scores which wasnt an issue my 3rd time.  I also had a low GPA (less then 2.8) because of that issue but I was able to get in to some of my top choice schools (good 4th tier schools).  So if you have a 3.72 that is very good.  My point though is, your score will be what it will be and after you took a prep course and got a 150, your max score is probably around a 150 or 152, unless you have a special circumstance when you even got the 150.  if your getting in the 140's, max 150, then your max is probably not going to be over 154.  If you have a 3.72 GPA or whatever with a 150 LSAT you can get into a lot of good schools.   I do agree with the above posters, that if you are insistent you could possibly score a 152 or so, maybe 154, but you would need to understand the test, and that would include doing a ton of practice questions slowly, and then also taking the full timed tests.  I also guessed on a bunch of questions but the prep coure helped alot.   

One of my friends is like a genius and got a 170 something and went to harvard, and another scored 151 with no prep, and 160 after a prep course.  I was scoring in the 140's because I suck at timed tests too and I finally got a 151 with a prep course.  Basically your max sounds like about 152 or so, but theres plenty of good schools you can get into with a 3.72 and a 150.  good luck.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:50:49 PM »
Basically your max sounds like about 152 or so, but theres plenty of good schools you can get into with a 3.72 and a 150.  good luck.

Yeah? Name one?
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 12:59:05 AM »
The largest lawschool in the nation comes to mind....

Basically your max sounds like about 152 or so, but theres plenty of good schools you can get into with a 3.72 and a 150.  good luck.

Yeah? Name one?

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
Really? Cooley has suddenly become a good school?

Pray tell, Sir. When did this happen?

The largest lawschool in the nation comes to mind....

Yeah? Name one?
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.