Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How many people who took online lawschool graduated or passed the bar?

Never got past the FYBX
 2 (40%)
Got past the FYBX but didnt graduate
 0 (0%)
Gradutated but wasnt allowed to sit the bar
 0 (0%)
Sat the bar but didnt pass
 0 (0%)
Passed the bar but cant find work
 0 (0%)
passed the bar and working as an attorney
 3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: How many people who took online lawschool graduated or passed the bar?  (Read 3115 times)

cooleylawstudent

I ask becuase I saw this and it struck me as odd if not alarming.

http://www.alu.edu/alumni/index.php 

" since 1999 82 of 246 graduates passed the bar"-ALU 

First you know they had a lot more students in the last decade than just 246(makes you wonder the attrition rate) plus 33% bar pass, WTF!?!?!  And thats just of grads.

Whats real sad is that I want to believe in online lawschools, but I get a feel that this one is the better of the mix, since they actually have online courses and chatrooms, it makes you wonder how low and poor off the traditional correspondence  via mail on their own lawstudents are doing?

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The California bar web site makes public each and every law schools pass ratio with how many students passed. Online schools have the worse pass ratio. Yale is number one with a 94% pass ratio. Bringham Young University has a high pass ratio in the 90's. Check it out for yourself. Scroll to the bottom to see the statistics by date.
http://calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?sImagePath=Examination_Results_Statistics.gif&sCategoryPath=/Home/About%20the%20Bar/Bar%20Exam&sHeading=Examination%20Results/Statistics&sFileType=HTML&sCatHtmlPath=html/Admissions_Old-Statistics.html

millard52english

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - millard52english
    • View Profile
Hii...Millard here....Would like to know about this......
Criminal attorneys Law is the name given to the branch.
Branch a law that governs an individual's relationship to the state. It includes the definitions of criminal offenses, which are usually established by Congress or state legislatures.

MEMEMEME

Who cares if you can pass the bar or not...part of law school is developing the social abilities neccesary to be a good lawyer.

exspes

• View Profile
So then according to you the people who do the online law school while working at a law office, or who do the 4 year apprenticship option, are better equipped to be attorneys due to more social and real life experience?

Who cares if you can pass the bar or not...part of law school is developing the social abilities neccesary to be a good lawyer.

MEMEMEME

Could be. However, I still think it's probably best to gain knowledge in a classroom setting with great access to legal research and get work experience during the summer or a lighter semester. The apprenticeship option could work if the lawyer was willing to spend enough hours teaching. I don't believe learning everything on the job is usually the best scenario for someone desiring to be a lawyer nor do I believe that most lawyers would have the time or energy to teach another person from scratch how to be a great lawyer all by himself or herself.

exspes

• View Profile
So being a lawyer is less experience at being a lawyer than sitting behind a desk and listening to someone that used to be a lawyer talk?

Could be. However, I still think it's probably best to gain knowledge in a classroom setting with great access to legal research and get work experience during the summer or a lighter semester. The apprenticeship option could work if the lawyer was willing to spend enough hours teaching. I don't believe learning everything on the job is usually the best scenario for someone desiring to be a lawyer nor do I believe that most lawyers would have the time or energy to teach another person from scratch how to be a great lawyer all by himself or herself.

MEMEMEME

What? I think you need to reread or think about what I actually said. But if I can interpret what you wrote, I will respond by saying first of all that many law professors are adjunct and still practice and I only said that it would be difficult for ONE single person to teach a person from the beginning to be a lawyer. Think about it, while they're practicing full-time, they have to teach a person EVERYTHING. They have to teach them to do legal research, teach them basic overviews of law, teach them to argue, teach them to write briefs, etc. The apprentice would be very much a burden if he or she were actually to learn anything besides filing and other secretarial duties at least for the first year and probably beyond that. Many lawyers work more than 40 hours a week and even with just a 40 hour workweek,  mentoring a person for a few years on end would be extremely tiresome. It is difficult to train a paralegal who has no knowledge of the legal system- let alone an attorney. Plus to be fair to the "apprentice," they would have to read A LOT on the side to get up to speed and actually pass the bar and they would do this with almost no structure or outline- unless like I said, the lawyer was willing to spend a significant amount of time teaching and coming up with a good plan.

Also, I don't think a good professor just "talks." They structure a course so that students will learn the information they need to learn for the bar and for the outside world. Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Disagree if you like, but that's my two cents.

ShangChi

• View Profile
    • Email
Abe Lincoln studied by candle light and by the fire. Many attornies from the 20th century studied law by apprentice and correspondence. And did you know that the Univ of London has had a law program by correspondence for over a 100 years and was the first to ever do so?  A lot of foreign law students studied via mail in England, especially India. If you weren't born with a Silver Spoon in your mouth and not one of the Elitist you really haven't much choice.  Also what a lot of people don't realize is that the reason Harvard has such a high pass rate is because they have the best teachers and a very rigorous entrance program, not just any kid from the Hood or jerk water USA ghetto is going to get in, race and money has a lot to do with it. Bonesmen, ALL HERE!
Or you can become a Freemason and rule the world like me, HA, HA!  Boaz, Jachin, and all of those secret words  MA #B$N#%