Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do online lawstudents get graded on a "curve" too?  (Read 2741 times)

cooleylawstudent

Do online lawstudents get graded on a "curve" too?
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
I'm curious how the grades work for distance learning lawschools. Do the selfpaced by mail ones grade on a setcurve(standard scantron type grades) and online ones with student interaction in groups grade on the curve the same as if in class?

Can some of the distance learning lawstudents on this forum let me know how it works?

cooleylawstudent

Re: Do online lawstudents get graded on a "curve" too?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
After reading about the "philosophy" that most lawschools teach, I bet at least half of harvard and Yale would fail the CA first year bar exam. "but it feel it should be different, let me explain my BS in an essay.....damn multiple choice is racist!"

sonofapickle

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
Going to an online college is like going to a community college. The employer just ends up laughing at you and throwing out your resume. Here is some advice, do not go to an online college.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »
That is a completely ignorant statement. Believe or not a lot of law firms simply need lawyers that can make them money and if you pass the bar from an online college your a hell of a lot more useful than one of the Harvard Grads that didn't pass the bar. 

Obviously, an online college will not  open nearly the same doors, but if you pass the bar at the end of the day you have the same rights in a courtroom that someone from Harvard has.

I even worked at a law firm where one of the attorneys graduated from Northwestern California online college and other attorneys in the firm went to Berkley, Hastings, UNC, Santa Clara etc. He had seniority over a lot of people from higher ranked schools, because he was a good lawyer and the name of his school didn't matter.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
What do you expect bigs, the OP lives with mommy&daddy to "save THEM money"(cant even take out his own loans) and plans to live with them after graduation. The idea of having a job at all is beyond him, let alone the idea of a job,school, and bills that daddy dosnt pay all at the same time.
Expect one more suicide in the local paper if that did happen.  :o

sonofapickle

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »
That is a completely ignorant statement. Believe or not a lot of law firms simply need lawyers that can make them money and if you pass the bar from an online college your a hell of a lot more useful than one of the Harvard Grads that didn't pass the bar. 

Obviously, an online college will not  open nearly the same doors, but if you pass the bar at the end of the day you have the same rights in a courtroom that someone from Harvard has.

I even worked at a law firm where one of the attorneys graduated from Northwestern California online college and other attorneys in the firm went to Berkley, Hastings, UNC, Santa Clara etc. He had seniority over a lot of people from higher ranked schools, because he was a good lawyer and the name of his school didn't matter.

Him being a good lawyer is not the sole reason why he had seniority, there are other possible factors as well. Let me provide an example for you, a newly grad who has passed the bar from a top 30 law school will be picked over some grad from an online school who has passed the bar. Hardly anyone will apply to a law firm without passing the bar so that example is irrelevant. That lawyer merely got in because the interview obviously went well and they possibly said, "what the hell, let's give him a shot." I bet he is the joke of the office though.

Law firms are businesses at the end of the day, not civic duty based firms out for the good of the people. It is not that hard to believe that as long as the person is not going over the firms marginal cost, he/she is good to the company.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
Lots of things can make you a "joke" including living with mommy and daddy and being too scared to even sit a real lsat. Stuff like that.
There are other factors.

Him being a good lawyer is not the sole reason why he had seniority, there are other possible factors as well. Let me provide an example for you, a newly grad who has passed the bar from a top 30 law school will be picked over some grad from an online school who has passed the bar. Hardly anyone will apply to a law firm without passing the bar so that example is irrelevant. That lawyer merely got in because the interview obviously went well and they possibly said, "what the hell, let's give him a shot." I bet he is the joke of the office though.

Law firms are businesses at the end of the day, not civic duty based firms out for the good of the people. It is not that hard to believe that as long as the person is not going over the firms marginal cost, he/she is good to the company.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:14:08 AM »
No he was not the joke of the office he brought in more money than anybody and he was named partner. Believe it or not law firms are concerned with how much money you make them not how good of a school you went to. The Santa Clara grad was a mess actually and she was the joke of the office, because she screwed things up all the time and there was talk about firing when I left. There was never talk about firing the guy from the online school, because he made money and won cases.

Jamarcus Russell was a number one draft pick college champion they cut his ass, because he can't complete a pass in the NFL. Tom Brady was a 6th round irrelevant draft pick he completes passes he is going to the hall of fame and has a massive contract. Results matter not

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
sounds like those who sign up for online lawschools dont usually make it but those who do are a badass for it. Kind of a trial by fire type thing.  :)

The good lord knows that all the people bragging about their "A"s this term had WAY below the 71% that online lawschools consider a C- 

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 07:00:20 PM »
After reading about the "philosophy" that most lawschools teach, I bet at least half of harvard and Yale would fail the CA first year bar exam. "but it feel it should be different, let me explain my BS in an essay.....damn multiple choice is racist!"

To the contrary, the top-ranked law schools generally have excellent bar passage rates, including in California.  I don't know why you would think otherwise.