Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about lsat training courses  (Read 1212 times)

jwhite017

• View Profile
Question about lsat training courses
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:46:11 AM »
I have looked at several courses and saw one that guarantees a 10 point increase on my LSAT. (I have only read this on their website so I do not know exactly what they do if you do not improve 10 points) Anyway has anyone had experience with the Testmasters courses? From what I can tell, there are 2 websites, one that ends in .org and the other than ends in .com I am interested in the testmasters.com site as this one has the guarantee.

If anyone has had any experience with this company, please let me know. A 10 point guarantee is a bold statement, so either they are that good, or they are that bad (scam) I would like to know before I shell out $900.00 for their course.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Question about lsat training courses
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:21:10 AM »
Testmasters.com is the "fake" testmasters.  10 points or they let you sit in on the next course.  That's not much of a guarantee.  Find a place that will give you your money back.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »
or muffins.  julie like muffins.

Elizabeth999

• View Profile
I've take Kaplan and Powerscore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07:17 AM »
I've take Kaplan and Powerscore.  I'd say that Powerscore was the better of the two.  However, in both cases, you need to keep up with the homework which, in itself can be a full time job.  My advice: Take a full length test and score it; that's your baseline.  Then take a look at wwww.powerscore.com for their books.  Their books are excellent.  Two strategies: a.  Take as many timed tests as possible before you walk into that exam.  Score them and be honest with yourself.  Ideally, you only want to take this test 1 time but if you need to, you can repeat.  b.  Analyze your results.  What question types are you getting wrong.  Go directly to the chapter on that question type and take the time needed to understand why you are getting those questions wrong.

I've heard good things about testmasters but I highly recommend powerscore. 

Emmae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »
Testmasters.com is the "fake" testmasters.  10 points or they let you sit in on the next course.  That's not much of a guarantee.  Find a place that will give you your money back.

I just started this course. :-[  By "fake" do you mean that it will be a complete waste of my time to go through the whole course?  At this point I can't get my money back!!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:12:41 AM »

I just started this course. :-[  By "fake" do you mean that it will be a complete waste of my time to go through the whole course?  At this point I can't get my money back!!

By "fake" I mean it's not the company 99.999% of people are talking about when they say TestMasters.  No idea if they're any good, but that "guarantee" mentioned earlier in the thread is a joke.

Emmae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:02:52 AM »
Thank you for the clarification of "fake."  As far as the guarantee is concerned, I didn't really put too much faith in that claim.  The main reason I went with this TestMasters is that they offer an online course, and since I couldn't fit the "Live" courses offered in my area into my schedule right now I signed up with them.  I'm new to all this, and probably should have done some more research  :-\.  Anyhow, I've registered for the June exam I wanted to start studying immediately.  Taking the LSAT was kind of a last minute decision.  I'm a non-trad student and my personal deadline is to start law school by 2011, so I thought "it's now or never!"

The course does seem to be helping me with LR and LG, but then again, I don't have anything else to which I can compare it.  I scored a 153 on my first practice exam - far from the 170+ I would like, but I'm going to keep practicing and go for it.  I really would like to get into one of the top schools in the Boston area.  I have a GPA of 3.65, so I don't know if that is realistic or not.  Any thought??

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »
153 to 170 is quite a leap in such a short amount of time.  I've seen it done though.