Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Prerequisites" for getting certain types of law jobs...  (Read 534 times)

tvw74

• View Profile
    • Email
"Prerequisites" for getting certain types of law jobs...
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:40:46 PM »
Specifically in regard to energy law, which i hear is very popular lately, are there certain things that employers like to see in the realm of past experience? I know that IP practice often requires, or at least is preferred, to have had engineering or science. makes me think that energy law practice might be best sought with an environmental studies degree or something, healthcare law; same vein, perhaps biology or chemistry. i guess what i want to know is how much does all of that matter, do some firms only hire new JD grads with certain undergraduate degrees, or does i.e. taking a lot of energy law classes, maybe oil and gas related, in law school suffice for experiences. maybe also what are some fields of law that are less reliant on undergraduate studies; maybe something that you can begin to look at in law school for the first time, become interested, and also have a chance and landing a great job, assuming you make good grades and participate in relevant clinics....

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: "Prerequisites" for getting certain types of law jobs...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »
Outside of IP, your undergraduate major doesn't really matter that much. I don't think you need a certain major for energy/oil & gas law.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: "Prerequisites" for getting certain types of law jobs...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:14:57 PM »
Even within IP, the only requirement is really that you're eligible for the patent bar. And there's plenty of IP-related stuff you can do without the patent bar too. In fact, my IP professor strongly adviced me not to take the patent bar to avoid being pigeonholed too much in the firm I'm working at.

Anyway, I have a friend that works in-house counsel at a large petroleum company, and his undergraduate is in American Lit. So there you go.

You probably do want to have some kind of interest for science and a willingness to read up on it though.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.