Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown part-time law  (Read 2420 times)

LawyerMD

• View Profile
    • Email
Georgetown part-time law
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
Hi All-

I was admitted to Georgetowns part-time law program and I was wondering if anyone on this board is familiar with it. I read on top law schools that you take 24 credits the first year. Are any weekend classes available? Or is it just evening? Is it at all possible to not live in DC ie 2-3 hrs away and do the part-time program.

I am in the process of deciding whether to pursue a part-time or full-time program.

Thanks for the input

RedShift

• View Profile
Re: Georgetown part-time law
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »
I am not personally familiar with the program, but judging from what I found on the internet, there are no weekend classes - only evening.  It would be possible to live 2-3 hours away as long as you're willing to spend 4-6 hours commuting to the campus  ???.  It would also be more difficult to get involved with on-campus activities such as moot court and law review.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
Well, most schools including Georgetown tends to allow first year PT students to switch to FT after 1 or 2 semesters. So you sort of can have your cake and eat it too.

As for 2-3 hours commute... each way? I'm sure it's possible, but I definitely wouldn't do that. Takes me 20min on the subway to get to school, and I'm hating that.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »
In the first year, you have class just about every evening, usually from 5:45 to 7:45 p.m. Some students commute from Baltimore, but that means you get home pretty late.  There are no weekend classes for first year.  There are a few upperclass courses that meet on weekends, but the vast majority do not.
Georgetown

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:42:18 PM »
I started GULC in the PT program.

There are no weekend 1L classes, but a few (very few) Saturday classes thereafter. I think you would be borderline insane to commute that far, but that's just me. I got hardly any sleep 1L year even with a 10 min commute.

As far as PT vs. FT, the best choice would probably depend on your job.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?