Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I go?....American  (Read 963 times)

Captain Sk33z

• View Profile
Should I go?....American
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:48:47 AM »
I know that WCL is a top tier school (#45) according to USNWR. I also know that American gets DOGGED on a lot by people on LSD and TLS, mainly because of its cost and position in a saturated market.

But, I'm leaning in this direction because: A.) it's the best school I got into, B.) I want to live somewhere new and DC is the nation's capital (I'm from Massachusetts) and C.) DC is the most recession-proof area in the US.

I'm also interested in working in: MIDLAW (granted, it is dwindling given this economy), the PI sector or starting off with a judicial clerkship. I'm not terribly enamored with BIGLAW.

Should I go for it?

Can anybody (American students, preferably) tell me more about WCL, what its student body atmosphere is like and how it places in DC/MD/VA? And what kind of jobs graduates typically get? All insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.-
Black Male
1 year removed from college
working in a law firm

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Should I go?....American
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
What are your other options?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Captain Sk33z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
Howard
Northeastern
Rutgers-Newark

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
I'd strike Northeastern off that list, and then decide between the remaining three.

My personal choice would be American, but it's not like there's a huge difference in how your life is going to end up from either one. If you're also favorable to DC, the decision is pretty much made for you,
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

Captain Sk33z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
Why would you say there's not a huge difference in where my life would end up? I'm pretty sure American crushes Northeastern, ranking-wise and probably has better employment opportunities.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »
Doesn't Howard have really good firm placement, despite its rank? What sort of money, if any, did Howard offer?

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Why would you say there's not a huge difference in where my life would end up? I'm pretty sure American crushes Northeastern, ranking-wise and probably has better employment opportunities.

Because to get benefit of that advantage, you really have to be top 5-10% of your class at both schools. This advantage only reflects people who get jobs through OCI, and right now, that's pretty damn few at any school below T14.

Most likely, you're going to get your job for old school recruitment, spamming out applications, doing follow up calls, making sure to network at bar association events etc. And in that scenario, it just becomes infinitely more important what person you are, how good your communication skills etc are, rather than the name on top of your resume.

Yes, American is the best school ranking-wise, and I don't think anyone is negating that.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.