Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American WCL  (Read 1215 times)

Captain Sk33z

• View Profile
American WCL
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I know that WCL is a top tier school (#45) according to USNWR. I also know that American gets DOGGED on a lot by people on LSD and TLS, mainly because of its cost and position in a saturated market.

But, I'm leaning in this direction because: A.) it's the best school I got into, B.) I want to live somewhere new and DC is the nation's capital (I'm from Massachusetts) and C.) DC is the most recession-proof area in the US.

I'm also interested in working in: MIDLAW (granted, it is dwindling given this economy), the PI sector or starting off with a judicial clerkship. I'm not terribly enamored with BIGLAW.

Can anybody (American students, preferably) tell me more about WCL, what its student body atmosphere is like and how it places in DC/MD/VA? And what kind of jobs graduates typically get? All insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.-
Black Male
1 year removed from college
working in a law firm

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: American WCL
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are your other options (both acceptances and scholarship amounts)?

Also, why are you not enamored with biglaw, but enamored with midlaw? To the extent it exists, midlaw is often biglaw hours but without biglaw pay.

Captain Sk33z

• View Profile
Re: American WCL
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
My other options are:

Howard
Northeastern
Rutgers-Newark

I am waiting to hear about the respective financial packages.