Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many hours can a 1L work and still be successful in law school?  (Read 7752 times)

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many hours can a 1L work and still be successful in law school?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:18:16 PM »
Thats wrong on at least two levels. First its the guys on top of the class that set the curve not the bottom, so unless the one lone top of class is asking, it won't make even a dent in the curve.
Plus, lots of guys that I know work at least part time and get a good solid 3.5(which a lot of cry babies getting breast fed at home while cramming for their finals dont get)

Guys in my law school used to work 20 hours a week and get 3.5GPA all the time. It's no big deal.

The curve comment was obviously a joke, although what you said makes no sense either. Everyone affects the curve, that's just how a curve works.

But yeah, working during your 1L year is a horrible idea, and as long as you can avoid it, you should. If the alternative is not being able to go to law school, that's a different matter.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:26:17 AM »
I doubt that he means so that he can enjoy the thrill of the job, if he's asking its probally to keep the lights turned on or something like that.

Thats wrong on at least two levels. First its the guys on top of the class that set the curve not the bottom, so unless the one lone top of class is asking, it won't make even a dent in the curve.
Plus, lots of guys that I know work at least part time and get a good solid 3.5(which a lot of cry babies getting breast fed at home while cramming for their finals dont get)

Guys in my law school used to work 20 hours a week and get 3.5GPA all the time. It's no big deal.

The curve comment was obviously a joke, although what you said makes no sense either. Everyone affects the curve, that's just how a curve works.

But yeah, working during your 1L year is a horrible idea, and as long as you can avoid it, you should. If the alternative is not being able to go to law school, that's a different matter.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:32:17 AM »
No point asking if he doesn't have a choice then.

Did you really get into law school? Really?
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 12:53:12 AM »
yeah crazy *&^% huh?

No point asking if he doesn't have a choice then.

Did you really get into law school? Really?

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:17:16 AM »

How is the ABA going to know that you are working full-time as a 1L? 

They have neither the time nor the resources to keep tabs on all first-year legal students. It's outrageously cost prohibitive as well as impractical.

And as a college researcher, couldn't you make the argument that your "work hours" are discretionary?  Not all working professionals work the traditional 9-5.

I'm not sure why the ABA mandates how many work hours can be spent outside of the classroom.  I really feel that they should leave that for their students to manage for themselves. As aspiring legal practitioners, they should be able to have some discretion in deciding how best to manage their work-school-leisure balance.

And don't BIGLAW firms demand outrageous work hours from their first-year associates.  The ABA might as well permit 1Ls to get a taste of what the economy has in store for them.  The work experience and networking might actually pay off in the long-run.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 02:21:09 AM »
They don't check when you are in school, but they ask you before you take the bar. You could probably lie about the hours you worked and get away with it, but if they find out it would be big trouble.  

Honestly if you are a full time student it is stupid to work your first year and I thought it was banned altogether by the ABA, but I could be wrong.  If you are really concerned about working while you go to school attend a part time program, then there is no work restriction and academic success will be more realistic.  

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »

How is the ABA going to know that you are working full-time as a 1L?

Does it matter? Are you going to roll that dice, hoping to get lucky?

I'm not sure why the ABA mandates how many work hours can be spent outside of the classroom.  I really feel that they should leave that for their students to manage for themselves. As aspiring legal practitioners, they should be able to have some discretion in deciding how best to manage their work-school-leisure balance.

Really? You don't get why they want to make sure people working in licensed professions like lawyers and doctors actually pay attention to their education?

Really?

And don't BIGLAW firms demand outrageous work hours from their first-year associates.  The ABA might as well permit 1Ls to get a taste of what the economy has in store for them.  The work experience and networking might actually pay off in the long-run.

Most retarded and irrelevant statement of the day award.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 07:13:56 PM »

Obviously you haven't graduated from law school yet. But I can assure you that there is an endless number of recent graduates out there that wished they would have devoted more time to working as opposed to devoting all their time to academics.

You're the one that sounds pretty f*cking clueless

kurtybear

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »
Anything can be done if you're willing to work very hard and be tired all the time.  I am a 3L, I work a 40-50 hour job in a management position, and I am a single dad to two kids.  My commute to work is only 5 minutes, but school is at least 30 minutes each way with no traffic.  I did very well in 1L.  Granted I am a part time law student, managing about 8 units each semester.  Its not easy, but I still maintain a good social life, and my kids are happy.
Esq. in California

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
That is awsome. Most of the part timers in my school are only part time workers and if they have family have a spouse to help out. Are you on the weekend plan?

Anything can be done if you're willing to work very hard and be tired all the time.  I am a 3L, I work a 40-50 hour job in a management position, and I am a single dad to two kids.  My commute to work is only 5 minutes, but school is at least 30 minutes each way with no traffic.  I did very well in 1L.  Granted I am a part time law student, managing about 8 units each semester.  Its not easy, but I still maintain a good social life, and my kids are happy.